Largs Viking Festival, 30th August to 7th September 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Viking Festival is another of those places where I go along to meet friends, though I don't set up a tent and trade there.

http://www.largsvikingfestival.com/

Webbie has suggested this thread to see if any other meet ups could be arranged while the festival is on.

I'm camping the last weekend but I'll probably visit with Warthog1981 on the Friday.

I know that Robby and Drew1166 are both part of the event, but is anyone else going ?

cheers,
Toddy

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Toddy,

Lesley & I will be there. We've got a couple of vikings coming up to visit & a baby viking too!

Will pm you for a meetup coffee/ cake/ etc
G:)

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
We are thinking of going too :)

Looking at their website its a bit difficult to decide when to go though.

What the best day Mary?

Dave

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
The last day is when I think the busiest day but I think it's the Saturday night when they burn the ship, which is the highlight of the event, I personally prefer the daytime activities on the Saturday though. Usually I am on duty there for first aid cover but I'll be elsewhere that weekend, down at Dumfries/Ayrshire border.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Saturday evening is the main battle, the ship burning and the fireworks.
The Sunday will be quieter but the Village will still be busy.

If it's just to meet up then probably the Sunday, but for all the happening things, the Saturday afternoon and evening would probably be better. The town will be heaving though, heaven knows how we'd meet up.

cheers,
M

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I'll be there, look out for Hrolfi the Red. The week days tend to be mainly quite quiet in the village. We get a steady flow of visitors but we spend most of the time shepherding school groups (or as we refer to it, Sprogherding). If you want the full show, the second Saturday is the best day. That's when the big battle is, and the fireworks display and boat burning.

So if you want a chance to wander around the village quietly and get a better chance to talk to everyone, during the week is the time for you. Prefer it busier, louder, scarier! then the 2nd Saturday is the time to come down.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
am just up the road and free most nights and at weekends so if there is going to be a mini-meet up then i wouldnt mind popping down. plus if i remember correctly the satursdays are really good if not a tad busy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can someone who knows the town and the event well enough maybe suggest a meet up point and a time frame ? Someplace where we could get a coffee would be good :D

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. Sorry Sniper, didn't mean to contradict you re Saturday and Sunday.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
A good meet point would be the ice-cream kiosk beside the amusement arcade. Its dead easy to find head to the seaside, find the ferry and turn right.

I work in Largs so could probably make a minimeet whenever over the weekend.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is this ice cream place somewhere we could have a seat, a coffee and meet up ?

Liz has suggested that those who are at her place for the weekend come up to Largs late afternoon for the Viking boat burning and the fireworks as well, it would be good to find somewhere we could all have a chance of meeting up.
A pub maybe, if the coffee shop idea isn't on ?

cheers,
Toddy

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
No worries Mary wasn't quite sure myself. Nardini's is a good big place further along and opposite side from amusements, they were closed for alterations but I think they've reopened now Alpha Centauri would know better.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Is this ice cream place somewhere we could have a seat, a coffee and meet up ?

Liz has suggested that those who are at her place for the weekend come up to Largs late afternoon for the Viking boat burning and the fireworks as well, it would be good to find somewhere we could all have a chance of meeting up.
A pub maybe, if the coffee shop idea isn't on ?

cheers,
Toddy

Would that be car sharing or end to the meet Mary,

I'm willing though,good fun.
I've got the weekend pass.

Tom.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Liz and I thought of it as a kind of break in the middle for those who wanted to go up.
I don't mind driving if others want to have a drink in the pub........but mind, it's my driving :eek:
I think I'd rather sit around a campfire though after the fireworks are by.

cheers,
M

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Liz and I thought of it as a kind of break in the middle for those who wanted to go up.
I don't mind driving if others want to have a drink in the pub........but mind, it's my driving :eek:
I think I'd rather sit around a campfire though after the fireworks are by.

cheers,
M

I'm in yours Mary :You_Rock_

If you've room of course.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Just to clarify, it sounds like a great opportunity for people to break the weekend up from the meet and visit somewhere of interest. Everyone is welcome to come back and continue the weekend here. You can start the weekend on the Saturday night or end it; it’s up to you really. It was just something that Mary n Liz discussed that sounded like a great idea.

For anyone who’s already at the meet that doesn't want to go to Largs then that’s not a problem either, they can just stay at ours and chill out :)

Dave

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just to clarify, it sounds like a great opportunity for people to break the weekend up from the meet and visit somewhere of interest. Everyone is welcome to come back and continue the weekend here. You can start the weekend on the Saturday night or end it; it’s up to you really. It was just something that Mary n Liz discussed that sounded like a great idea.

For anyone who’s already at the meet that doesn't want to go to Largs then that’s not a problem either, they can just stay at ours and chill out :)

Dave

Thanks Dave,
Think a wee bit of clarification was needed for this.
( 'course not unusual on my part:rolleyes: ).

See you soon.

Tom.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
No worries Mary wasn't quite sure myself. Nardini's is a good big place further along and opposite side from amusements, they were closed for alterations but I think they've reopened now Alpha Centauri would know better.

The original nardini's is still closed. The moorings is still open and serving the same terrible coffee.

There's a couple of other options though firstly decide pub or coffee shop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE