Larger sizes

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I was wondering if anyone knew where I can get a reasonably priced sleeping bag that's suitable for the larger person. I tried out an army sleeping bag and found it was tight around my chest aqnd I wouldn't have been able to get my arms in at all. It measured 28" arcross the shoulder/chest.

Any suggestions would be helpful (and I am already dieting thanks :) )

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
i have a british army sleep system and find it big, i am 19 stone and find it ok with room to move.

What size army bag do you have then Mn? As I said I tried the british army bag and there was no way I could have got my arms inside it with it done up.

I'm the same with a 60 inch chest and find the uk army bag too tight on the shoulders and chest.

How the heck do the big guys in the army get on esp in winter with their gear on sleeping too? (I know most are mear youngsters at 18 or so and still growing!)

That was what I was wondering as well Woody. I've been looking for some waterproofs as well and it seems that the chest sizes stop at about 46-48" so I've got no chance of getting them on either.

You also have a PM Woody :)

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Hi Big Guys!
I have an MOD dos bag, I am 6' 5", 50" chest, large build, big shoulders & arms etc 17stn and I fit in my bag with plenty of room to move, in fact my 7 year old daughter can squeeze in with me too, when we are messin it the tent, but cant fit the wife in too.:p

There are different sizes I know that as my "contact" got me the biggest they do after we went camping and he took the p155 out of me in my old "Skin Tight" dos bag.:eek:

If you really need me to I will nip in the loft let you know what size it is, if the label is still in there, Possibly removed to protect the supplier!;)

All temperate and arctic bags come in normal and large sizes, the large size appears to be just slightly wider in girth and several inches longer than the normal bag.

I'm not aware of an XL, although they may be available. I've never seen an NBC suit bigger than a large but know they were made up in small numbers to a 60 inch chest. Normal issue range stops at 120cm for chest, anything bigger is special request only and rarer than hens teeth.

Denbigh Army Surplus do waterproofs, goretex to 60 inch chest aswell as normal combats in g1 and new, but expect to pay almost double normal costs for these sizes but Mick at Denbigh seems like a decent bloke, he really has helped me out although you may have to wait a while to get it.

As always no connection with seller just happy customer.

Woodsmoke

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Hi Mesquite,

I'm in the same boat and ended up buying the vango orion xl (about £35). Good enough bag and huge but weighs 2.7kgs so not ideal.

What did you end up with Woodsmoke?

Kim

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
HI W00dsmoke
I have an Snugpak Expanda panel fitted on my bag it gives loads of room, they are about £20 and fit all the snugpak softie military range. This might be a way forward

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
This is what Woodsmoke suggested to me with regards a large sleeping bag:

"If you buy a "MK2 British Army ARCTIC sleeping bag", it is feather and down filled with a central zip, it is HUGE and it fits me with plenty room on the shoulders chest and gut. these were made in the 80's and 90's and have a central zip to the foot and in summer you can use it like a quilt if you like. They cost between £20 and £30 per bag in A1 condition. MAKE SURE IT IS A MARK 2 ARCTIC BAG, all others are much smaller, these were made bigger to accommodate lots of layered clothing inside!

The laternative is to buy a BIG AGNES sleeping bag, these are much bigger than normal bags and have a internal circumferance of around 190-200cm at the shoulders and are available in down and synthetics."

So I'm on the look out for a Mk2 British Army arctic sleeping bag from one of the suppliers.

Thanks for your help Woodsmke :)

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
MK2 British Army ARCTIC sleeping bag, that is definately what I must have, central zip, well toasty and huge.
With regards the water proofs, my contact also sorted me a set of DPM gortex jacket & pants, again very big, as he is a big lad they must be his kit, but these are brand new, the NBC suit he got me was still vaccum packed when I got it and it too is very big.:D

Eeee its great keeping in with old buddies who can still get you kit, esp' when they are now Occifers.:27:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE