Large but packable wood gas stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 25, 2015
Bath
Just a little project to pick your experienced brains with (if you would all be so kind)
I am planning a week on Dartmoor with a few friends & I (in the spirit of wanting to be difficult) I am wanting to take a Dutch oven, I have a Trangia but I want to be able to cook for everyone & the Dutch seems the best route for that.
Is the any wood gas stove designs you guys know of that work with something so big as a Dutch oven?
I have a few sketches (will find a way to upload/link them) but no experience as yet so any help would be awesome

Thanks
Lark

Feb 25, 2015
Bath
Thanks for the replies, the reason I want to use a stove is to avoid the chance of my fire spreading when I cannot find a proper bed for it.
@Limaed that's a pretty nice design, I am ideally looking to make this myself

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
In my experience, cooking in a Dutch oven is much better done over a Hobo-style stove as opposed to the more concentrated power of either a Rocket or a woodgas stove; once you get your D.O. up to temp., you just need to maintain that level of heat as evenly as possible and this doesn't need that immediate and more intense heat you get from the Rocket or W'gas. And with both those stoves the basic physics of how they're built and their shape(s) mean that they are both complex and effort-intensive to make collapsable and packable.

The stove that Limaed links to above would, in my opinion, be absolutely ideal for what you propose; simple and large enough to be very sturdy and stable with that kind of weight over it, I reckon it'd be hard to beat.
I don't think the £60 asking price is bad at all, but if this was an obstacle you could quite easily MYO without too much hassle, though I'm not sure how much you'd actually save. I suppose that would depend on your level of skill and access to tools and materials.

Although the stove is not reviewed on the Woodlore site I wouldn't be at all bothered by that, I think Woodlore only stock products that have been properly evaluated and I for one would be prepared to trust their judgement.

I have no connections etc. etc., I hope this helps :)

Feb 25, 2015
Bath
I'm sure there is a rule of no fires on Dartmoor.
I thought I had heard something like that, I know that wild fires are not difficult to start with all that Gorse about, I would hazard a guess that 'open fires' would be ones exposed to the ground, my design (I swear I will get you the pics) has an insulated base to avoid scorching.

Feb 25, 2015
Bath
In my experience, cooking in a Dutch oven is much better done over a Hobo-style stove as opposed to the more concentrated power of either a Rocket or a woodgas stove; once you get your D.O. up to temp., you just need to maintain that level of heat as evenly as possible and this doesn't need that immediate and more intense heat you get from the Rocket or W'gas. And with both those stoves the basic physics of how they're built and their shape(s) mean that they are both complex and effort-intensive to make collapsable and packable.

The stove that Limaed links to above would, in my opinion, be absolutely ideal for what you propose; simple and large enough to be very sturdy and stable with that kind of weight over it, I reckon it'd be hard to beat.
I don't think the £60 asking price is bad at all, but if this was an obstacle you could quite easily MYO without too much hassle, though I'm not sure how much you'd actually save. I suppose that would depend on your level of skill and access to tools and materials.

Although the stove is not reviewed on the Woodlore site I wouldn't be at all bothered by that, I think Woodlore only stock products that have been properly evaluated and I for one would be prepared to trust their judgement.

I have no connections etc. etc., I hope this helps :)
I may have gotten a little carried away with the whole plethora of designs out there.

I am considering using http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2246, I figure that the handle will make a nice pot rest & make a cut in the wall beneath the spout, fold the panel inwards so that the fuel feeds properly, the ash can then join the ballast I poured in first to keep the rig stable.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I have cooked off the ground with two set ups using a Dutch oven but only got pics of a D.O. on the heaviest one.
The Chris Randall Yukon fire box can be flat packed and the camping table packs small and lightweight,

DSC01200.JPG

DSC01195.JPG

and the Son of Hibachi with its own legs

DSC01106.JPG

both have no adverse impact on the ground. If going to the effort of carrying a D.O. a flat packable firebox and the table could be shared out amongst the friends being cooked for. Woodgas stove designs are by nature bulky but lighter but D.O's often need coals on top to assist cooking, not sure you'd get them from WG stoves.

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE