Laptop Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Can anyone recommend a decent laptop rucksack that they use or would buy for themselves?

Price wise not too expensive so, as much as I'd love to have one, no Filsons, Frost Rivers or equivalents please :rolleyes:

I'm after one that will hold a laptop up to about 17" plus associated work documents

Cheers :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use an old Targus pack Steve, it's in daily use and gets chucked about on a regular basis.

The one I have now must ten years old and still going strong

I think mine's an older version of this one, the pocket layout is the same

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I use a Snugpak Exocet, bit larger (35ltr) than you need perhaps but its a good pack.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I used to have a Targus one very similar to this.
I agree with Rich it was a great bag, very robust with plenty of pockets, and comfortable to carry. I sold it along with my old laptop, which I now regret.

I use an old Targus pack Steve, it's in daily use and gets chucked about on a regular basis.

The one I have now must ten years old and still going strong

I think mine's an older version of this one, the pocket layout is the same

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have a crumpler rucksack, the laptop fits in a sleeve (useable on its own) which fits into a compartment behind the straps, I find I can overpack the main compartment and not worry about stressing the laptop section.

A long time ago when I was a roadie I used to use a Berghaus Munro, my Powerbook 150 sat in that inside a custom padded case made from cardboard, bubble wrap and gaffa tape, the box also had a big label on the side which read 'damaged lighting cable'. This set up was quite stealthy and took the knocks. :)

Last edited:

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I stumbled across one of these a few years back while killing time in my local TK Maxx.*

b369.jpg

It's the Nike Epic II, great pack with an internal sleeve for your laptop (my old 17" lappy fit in there fine although it's mostly my ickle netbook that travels in it now). Loads of pockets for cables, peripherals, bits & bobs. It has a storage pocket on the base designed as a 'wet pocket' although I find it's perfect for power cables. The pack has a hard plastic external frame which makes you look like a sexy 'techno terrapin'.

Cost me about £17 although I've since seen them selling for much more than that.

Uh..OK, just had a look online and they don't seem to be made anymore although if you stumble across one on evilbay or elsewhere snap it up straight away.

Failing that, having a rumage in TK Maxx* is often a good idea as they have tons of different styles of bags although it is a bit of a lucky dip...

*no affiliation, etc, just a happy rumager

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
TK Maxx is always a good place to look for rucksacks and bags of all sorts.
I bought a LoweAlpine camera bag there a few years ago which usually has my Macbook in if I'm taking photos or on holiday.
Otherwise it lives in a heavily padded Diesel shoulder bag.+1 for crumpler though : excellent quality kit.Junior has one for his
Macbook Air and loves it.
Cheers , Simon

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Targus and kensington do very well made bags for sensible money... I have a crumpler messenger bag type thing that I love, though i'm upgrading it soon.

I may have a bag at work I could just send to you for free though, I'll have a look tomorrow as sometimes we get kit in that comes with cases as a promotion. If you are interested, i'll have a look in the morning.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Targus and kensington do very well made bags for sensible money... I have a crumpler messenger bag type thing that I love, though i'm upgrading it soon.

I may have a bag at work I could just send to you for free though, I'll have a look tomorrow as sometimes we get kit in that comes with cases as a promotion. If you are interested, i'll have a look in the morning.

Cheers for that Squidders... I can save you the postage though as I work in Harrow :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well I had a good look through this morning, we have lots of standard laptop bags but no rucksacks. The bags look like they are mainly 15" too which isn't ideal.

No dice i'm afraid.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Well I had a good look through this morning, we have lots of standard laptop bags but no rucksacks. The bags look like they are mainly 15" too which isn't ideal.

No dice i'm afraid.

Ahh, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Thanks for looking anyway :)

I think I'll probably get a Targus bag off of ebay once I know the exact size of the laptop I might be getting

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE