Lapplander-knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is this cool?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
The knife is made by a norwegian comapny called "Knivsmed Stromeng". They are not so hard to find here in sweden, you just got to look in the right places (northern sweden). Knives like this was often used by the sapmi people instead of an axe they used a larger knife.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
www.ragweedforge.com sells many scandi blades. I have this in a combination set with a smaller puukko. The guardless, tapered handles defy common opinion on correct handles- until used in the cold. With mittened hands draw cuts are much easier. The flared pommel makes for easy pushing into tough materials. Your trees tend to smaller diameters in the far north. For these it does make a superb light chopper with a easy swinging cut. I hold mine lightly near the pommel and let momentum do the work. The easiest way to snap these blades is a firm grip with violent impacts. They make decent snow knives too, though I prefer a saw. Knivestend to slide on hardpack and can't get much purchase. All in all a great tool in the right environ. The curly birch handles are an aesthetic pleasure too.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I thought you did a nice review a little while back on one of their knives Andy?:

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=3348&highlight=str%f8meng

Similar to this one too:

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=4976&highlight=Knivsmed

I am pretty sure that is a Knivsmed STRØMENG SAMEKNIV 8" OLD FASHION (KS8OF) model with that aged effect on the blade and same sheath. I saw it last night on this Norwegian site ( with cheaper prices too)

Solbris Sport og Fiskeutstyr - Knivsmed Strømeng

l_ks8of.jpg

I was also intrigued by this model, the STRØMENG NATOKNIV 8". SAMEKNIV M/FINGERVERN. It says it is NATO Knife, standard issue for the NO army (Forsvarets "Soldat 2000"):?: On the same page at the beginning. Not sure what the difference was between it and the other standard except for the finger guard ( which I would not prefer I think). To stop the soldiers chopping off their fingers I guess :)

l_Natoknivgravkomp.jpg

Personally I think the STRØMENG STANDARD SAMEKNIV 9" (KS9) which was discussed in the other forum is the one I will go for when I am up there, for chopping duties etc as Hoodoo and gary says it is versatile also. I assume that etching on the balde is just personal to that knife.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Moonraker said:
Personally I think the STRØMENG STANDARD SAMEKNIV 9" (KS9) which was discussed in the other forum is the one I will go for when I am up there, for chopping duties etc as Hoodoo and gary says it is versatile also. I assume that etching on the balde is just personal to that knife.
The difference is 2,5 cm., not something very noticable. The one i reviewed was the KS8OF, with the black coating.

The coating also confused me in the start. In most pictures the coating is grey with dots, but when you unsheath it first time, you'll see it's totally black! :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE