Laplander Saw

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
OK, I admit it - I'm full of the brown sticky stuff.
When people hold forth about how good a Laplander is I am more than willing to believe them, but I am not prepared to believe it is significantly better than my £2.99 Wilko saw.
But I'm wrong.
A friend got one for Christmas and we were out today so I had a go with it. They are really good. Nice quick, clean cut. I was very impressed.
Still not entirely sure I would spend my own money on such a (relatively) expensive folding saw.
However.
It's my birthday in February and I am more than happy for somebody else to spend their money on one!
I'm converted. Those Laplanders ARE really good. I'll keep my gob shut in future.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
They are good aren't they! - all you need now is to try a silky pocket boy then you will be undecided again! ;) :lmao:

I have both (and about 1/2 doz other different collapseable saws including the wilko....:eek:) but it is the silky I carry now! ;)

sorry to complicate things but there is never a 'best', it is all a matter of taste - if you like it then it is the best for you whether it be - lidls, wilkos or whatever;)

OK, I admit it - I'm full of the brown sticky stuff.
When people hold forth about how good a Laplander is I am more than willing to believe them, but I am not prepared to believe it is significantly better than my £2.99 Wilko saw.
But I'm wrong.
A friend got one for Christmas and we were out today so I had a go with it. They are really good. Nice quick, clean cut. I was very impressed.
Still not entirely sure I would spend my own money on such a (relatively) expensive folding saw.
However.
It's my birthday in February and I am more than happy for somebody else to spend their money on one!
I'm converted. Those Laplanders ARE really good. I'll keep my gob shut in future.

My £2.99 lidles folding saw will outcut a Laplander everytime. I've tried both and the significant extra cost for a saw that doesn't perform as well as the one I've got just doesn't make sense! ;) but Graham's right, saws are very personal and as long as we use them and they work for us...well that's what it's all about at the end of the day.

Drongo

Aug 19, 2008
Lisburn
I've one of these...

Wilkinson Sword Pruning Saw

img_7258.jpg

And having never used a Laplander, I love it...

Anyone else got any thoughts on this saw...?

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
I also have one of the wilkinson sliding pruning saws and I think it is brilliant, light and when closed the blade is totally enclosed, simple to extend and a pleasure to use, brilliant.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I used a few different cheap folding saws and thought they were fine until I bought my laplander for cheapness from a local hardware shop. The main difference is the simple fact that the laplander has a bacho blade and whatever saw you use a bacho blade makes a big difference in my opinion.

I will agree that my laplander blade also bends easily but I like to think that it means that bending isnt breaking, sometimes being stiff and hard makes things that get a lot of abuse like saws quite brittle.

but yeah at the end of the day horse for courses.

tom

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve found that if you try and remember the Laplander cuts on the draw stroke it`s harder to bend it. I know before I`d go hell for leather trying to cut something as quickly as possible and it would be all over the place. Taking your time and thinking about what you`re trying to do makes it a lot easier I`ve found.

That`s just my opinion mind.

I`ve also got a couple of garden centre pruning saws which cut equally aswell but the locking mechanisms on them don`t fill me with confidence. I took a nasty nick across my knuckles using one of them in the rain in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE