Lansky world legal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BLAG

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2014
sherwood forest
Anybody got experience with this little folder. Looks a good tough work knife. I've ordered one anyway for the price it won't be end of world

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Springfield's in Burton upon Trent were selling them and some of the staff were using them as packing / box cutters, in everyday use one of the lads said they were tough and held an edge really well, but would be better if they were one handed openers. As for outdoor / Bushcraft use I'm afraid I can't comment as I don't own one as I prefer a rigid locking blade for most jobs. If the Lansky doesn't quite meet your needs I believe Mora have just produced a commercial necker knife as part of their range, also being a relatively cheap but conveniently small knife (but obviously only a fixed blade). Be nice if someone could do a review on one of these Lanskys too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have a world legal. I was intrigued to try it as so many raved about it but looking at the pictures, I wasn't sure.

I don't understand why people love it. I misplaced it soon after getting it. I wasn't worried. It resurfaced and I used it some more then it got misplaced again. I still didn't mind. I found it last weekend in a random box. I left it there and packed the box away.

It's just so bad compared to so many other knives.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've put together an overview of both of the Lansky World Legals so you can see the evolution of the knife, and how Lansky addressed feedback from the first knife. The main complaints were, bulk in pocket, terrible high carry clip, and weight. It really is a chunker of a knife.

Side by side you can see the Mk1 is a fair bit wider when closed.

41451B0A-2ACA-4D7D-8E18-C74481A7CEA8_zpsx9oi94eg.jpg

Blade shape has been changed on the Mk2. I'll get to the blades in a bit.

EF876BDB-0010-45C9-9F1C-46C81993D0B6_zpsm8ed7ecu.jpg

New pocket clip much more refined with decent fixings and low pocket carry.

C01D8597-7062-44DE-9375-F50F64EAC051_zpsmivewqft.jpg

Blade thickness reduced. I'm guessing 4mm down to 3mm, the battery in my calipers is dead.

Weight of Mk1 - 175g
Weight of Mk2 - 125g

In hand the difference is very noticable. Note the way the backspring sits down on the Mk1, makes for a very good grip with that aggressive jimping.

146C2DD5-45DC-473F-B758-C3715D1976CE_zpscikc2gzc.jpg

The very solid half stop. note the nice grit blast in the nail nick and on the blade. Nice touch.

26E2FEDB-A00D-4059-9696-07097C92E346_zpszqkgyssc.jpg

So, the niggles with the pocket clip and its shoddy hardware have been well addressed, as have the weight and size problems. Each of the knives has an extremely solid spring and a very secure half stop. If either of these blades was to snap shut on a finger it would be to the bone, if not sever it. I open and close mine very carefully.

Now, the blades. This is my problem. Why have Lansky made a world legal knife with such an aggressive blade shape? In terms of use its a bit of a one trick pony, and though legal does draw some astonished and worried looks from people. The same knife with a more utilitarian blade shape would have made it quite useful. The hawkbill on the Mk2 will open boxes and cut carpet all day, but that's about it, and you're carrying a knife that looks very like a weapon just to do that. The hawkbill is a traditional shape on fighting knives like kerambits, and features on many knives intended for self defence and martial arts. Hence, I never use mine, it's limited by its design.

If anybody would like my Mk1 at no cost to themselves drop me a PM.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I now have one of these, the MK1

Initial observations:
My life it is chunky. Not fat, so once open it seems quite reasonable.
It is possible to open and close one-handed.
My wife, who has severely arthritic fingers, can open and close it. She felt the half-stop made it feel very safe to close and unlike some knives, the blade isn't yanked out of your fingers when closing the last bit.
The secondary bevel is very steep - bit unnecessary in such a thick blade. I stropped it a bit and it has a reasonable edge.

I was intending to regrind the blade to more of a warncliffe shape, but there isn't enough of the tip in the handle when closed to do that.

Downside is now that MrsC has handled a knife with a pocket clip and so easy to open/close, she wants one. Not a lansky (too chunky and 'tactical'). I guess of the spydercos or something similar.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Got both.

Mk1 was interesting but badly designed in the long run, but still useful and different ateast.

Mk2 is really something special. Totally made use of the blade length and as mentioned it is a great utility knife to have at work/home. That hooked blade does wonders on packaging and what not and the handle has been slimmed right down. Both have extremely strong back springs and are the most secure folders I've owned or played with.

I have my mk2 on me every day, great knife for a great price.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
i just dont see that blade shape being would police friendly whether its legal or not

I doubt it too, but the law is the law.. and they'll ruin your day weither it looks like a sharp banana or not. I'm confident the law will protect my legal and legitimate choices/actions.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Downside is now that MrsC has handled a knife with a pocket clip and so easy to open/close, she wants one. Not a lansky (too chunky and 'tactical'). I guess of the spydercos or something similar.

BB forum knife is an Urban with dark green scales. There maybe a few left over.

My missus has a Squeak in pink, she loves it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE