Lansky Knife Sharpener Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clownman

Jan 9, 2009
Tamworth
I just came across this on ebay (link below) and wondered if anyone has ever used one, and if so how good they were. Seems like a pretty foolproof way of putting an edge back on my scouts knives while on camp, as many of them turn up with knives that you'd struggle to peel a carrot with.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lansky-UNIVERSAL-KIT-Sharpening-Knives-Bushcraft-Axes_W0QQitemZ230289971336QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Knives_Tools?hash=item230289971336&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

(sorry i dont know how to make a live link)

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
quite good IMHO, i got the diamond one from someone on here ( all though when i got it i think he had been sharpening combine harvester blades on it and the little scrote has not replied to any emails)

anyway, yup its a good wee kit for people who have not got a grip of a whetstone yet (like me) seems a decent price too. The lansky website has videos to on how to use the system also.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I have used one exclusively for over 10 years. They are a great and simple way to sharpen knives.

Depending on the knives the scouts use it can be a bit tricky to get the edge just right. If they have a scandi grind the clamp may not get the angle "just right" and you will end up putting a secondary bevel on the knife.

That said it is a great system.

The kit listed is not so good for the modern super hard steels. i have just bought the diamond kit which is much more suited to these supersteels.

Heinnie also sell the full range of Lansky stuff so have a browse before making your final choice.

http://www.heinnie.com/3tdtxb1073356/Accessories/Sharpeners/Lansky/c-1-93-370-214/

clownman

Jan 9, 2009
Tamworth
cheers guys, to be honest I have no idea what a scandi grind is.

You say it won't be suited to hard steels, the knives i use most are fairly new Gerbers of varying sizes (so im guessing they fall into this hard steel category), would this kit be any good for them or should i look at one of the others?

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
You should be OK with Gerbers.

What i was talking about are the speciality high end steels ATS-34, D2 etc very very hard to sharpen but hold an edge for a good long time.

The standard stones will sharpen the tough stuff, it may just take a bit longer!

Just looking at the evilbay page at the price. It's nearly £8 cheaper to buy from Heinnies as P+P is free (3-4 day service)

no affiliation etc, just VERY happy past customer.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
I used the Lansky system before I got into freehand sharpening.

You might appreciate knowing that the diamond stones used in the Lansky system don't last very long and are rather expensive (for the size and relative amount of use they give you) for replacements. Having a light touch while using them can prolong their lives a bit. I have all the stones they make for the kit and prefer the natural coarser stones and the synthetics for final finishing (especially the blue sapphire stone) over the diamonds regardless of the blade steel.

My biggest gripe with the kit is the narrow width of the stones which cause them to be prone to rocking side to side (they don't stay totally flat on the blade) while sharpening so be careful. If you go slowly and take your time you'll do fine.

Other than those two issues, you should be happy with the results using this tool.

Be safe.

NJ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE