Lanshan 2 review (not mine)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I've often been tempted by some of the cheaper tents out there, the lanshan, the naturehike tents etc., that tend towards being uktra or very lightweight. But some part of me has always been a bit skeptical. There are infinite reviews showing a lot of love for these tents, but very few that subject them to hard weather.

So here's a fantastic review on the lanshan 2. If you're a tent dweller and enjoy the hills then I highly recommend watching this:

Edit: this isn't my video

Irrespective of being 3 season or 4 season, for me a tent needs to hold up to wind and rain and frankly, the lanshan 2 appears to do an abysmal job of it. I just can't see the point of a tent that can't hold up to these conditions, and as the reviewer points out, wind and rain is common in the hills throughout the year.

It's not all about money either. I recently camped in similar conditions in a Vango Nevis. It was rock solid, never let a drop in, never budged. Only cost 98 quid.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Actually I'd like to follow up with a question. I know there are a few mountain leaders on this forum, and people with a lot of experience. If camping in the mountains, particularly autumn, winter or spring, do you routinely take a goretex/breathable bivi bag to sleep in, in case of tent failure?
(I'm not talking plastic emergency bivis, which I assume everyone has by default).

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
My Lanshan1 Plus stands up to wind and rain really well, It is light, pitches quickly and is spacious and feels robust.

I've watched a few of this Youtuber's offerings and if I'm honest am a bit sceptical. A previous offering looked like the tent had been pitched poorly in a location and conditions that would test many with a view perhaps (to a cynic) to attract views.

Although I appreciate other's reviews, I like to test my own gear, so I know its strengths and weaknesses.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Actually I'd like to follow up with a question. I know there are a few mountain leaders on this forum, and people with a lot of experience. If camping in the mountains, particularly autumn, winter or spring, do you routinely take a goretex/breathable bivi bag to sleep in, in case of tent failure?
(I'm not talking plastic emergency bivis, which I assume everyone has by default).
I have a simple, breathable, purple, drawstring bivy bag from Rab - possibly the Survival Zone (non-lite version), but I'm not sure. It is lightweight and packs down small, so I carry it as an emergency bivy bag during winter hikes and long summer hikes or whenever the conditions make it prudent.

I also use it to protect my sleeping bag when sleeping under tarps, in tents in bad weather/in winter or generally when I want a bit more warmth without the added weight of a heavier bag or extra layers.

Sometimes in tents I only put it around the foot and lower leg portion of the sleeping bag to protect against moisture (I move a lot in my sleep so often push the inner against the outer with the foot box - not ideal) without being too warm or restrictive around the rest of me.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I’ve got no real experience of using tents that rely on hiking poles for support (other than my new Gatewood cape but that hasn’t been out much yet - and it’s not a tent), but I think you have to be realistic about what you can expect from tents that do not have any way of securely holding the pole in place. Same if you’re using a hiking pole with a non-flat top that tends to slide around a bit more etc. Gusty winds in particular are going to move things about much more and require a lot more structural integrity.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I used to have a green outdoor bush shelter. It used canoe paddles for poles and tension from the guys to stay up. On the South Nahanni it was absolutely the worst tent imaginable Endless flath trying to get the tension right with weighted rocks.

I was always 20 minutes behind my colleagues setting up camp. Never again will I take a tent like that into proper wilderness.
I felt her pain watching that video review. Brought back many memories of getting out at 2am into freezing rain to re tension guy lines and mop up puddles.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I used to have a green outdoor bush shelter. It used canoe paddles for poles and tension from the guys to stay up. On the South Nahanni it was absolutely the worst tent imaginable Endless flath trying to get the tension right with weighted rocks.

I was always 20 minutes behind my colleagues setting up camp. Never again will I take a tent like that into proper wilderness.
I felt her pain watching that video review. Brought back many memories of getting out at 2am into freezing rain to re tension guy lines and mop up puddles.
Hi Wayne,

Sounds like your experience/view would apply to all the floorless tipi / lavvu shelters that use a central pole and perimeter stake points. Is that right? Such shelters get praised in lots of wilderness situations. Gravel bar and slick rock camping would be hard to impossible. What was the terrain like on the Nahanni?

Something I have read, think it was Chris Townsend, was that many of the trekking pole shelters on the market are made for the US market and are not up to the challenges of UK (or New Zealand) mountain weather. I have often wondered about this since the US can have some impressive storms, and the Western states can have persistent strong winds. Shelters marketed to hunters are meant to take these conditions. Maybe the stuff sold to summer recreational hikers is less robust?

Reactions: Madriverrob

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Hi Wayne,

Sounds like your experience/view would apply to all the floorless tipi / lavvu shelters that use a central pole and perimeter stake points. Is that right? Such shelters get praised in lots of wilderness situations. Gravel bar and slick rock camping would be hard to impossible. What was the terrain like on the Nahanni?

Something I have read, think it was Chris Townsend, was that many of the trekking pole shelters on the market are made for the US market and are not up to the challenges of UK (or New Zealand) mountain weather. I have often wondered about this since the US can have some impressive storms, and the Western states can have persistent strong winds. Shelters marketed to hunters are meant to take these conditions. Maybe the stuff sold to summer recreational hikers is less robust?
Chris Townsend uses the MLD Trailstar shelter pretty much all year round in the UK ....

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
My bush shelter was more like a scaled down version of a Baker Tent.
the Nahanni deep canyons and gravel bars don’t lend themselves to this style of tent.

Similarly the terrain i wilderness camp in mostly now Finland is rock with fewer options this style of tent.

They have their admirers. I know that for me on a canoe expedition or Arctic winter camp other options are available that have served me better.

BTW I credit Chris Townsend as a major influence in my outdoor career. Reading his early books on the PCT and walking the Yukon Etc. A man that literally walks the walk.

Reactions: Madriverrob

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I do watch this lass on YT, and she's an amazingly tough cookie, lots of struggling on her welsh trips.
This tent is not realy meant for what she puts it through though, and she often has struggles with it in extreme weather.
I'd be investing in a better tent for those sort of adventures if I were her!
One day she's gonna come unstuck if she doesn't.

I have the dd pyramid trecking pole tent, nice and roomy, easy pitch, and lightweight, but I'd never trust it in those sort of harsh conditions.
I'd definitely want something far more robust, and specifically for those mountain conditions.
I guess it's fine for good weather, and summer camping, but not the most stable and windshedding of tents.
Using your trekking poles for the tent is not good if they bend or break, and you need them to traverse terrain to get out.
Not on my wish list.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I've come across bad reviews of the DD tracking pole tent too, when under rain. Perhaps I was overly harsh in my initial post though, especially as I've not actually used these tents. But as others have said, it's good to know the limitations of gear.

I like wildbeare, she does put herself out there, doesn't pretend to be anything she's not, and comes across as being very positive.

Yes faffing is great fun when you're among fellow faffers.
On family campong trips I always rig up a tarp. It invariably takes me a long time as no one ever puts trees in the right place. I then spend most of the camp fiddling and tweeking. On our last camp I determined the weather was ok and so took down the tarp over lunch in order to change the pitch. Within a minute of taking it down it rained and soaked everything that had up to that point been protected. Arguments ensued.

Reactions: SaraR

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I wouldn't use the dd trekking pole tent unless it was summer, and I knew it was going to be fine weather for a trip.
I'd rather rely on my tarp and hammock. Been through some real weather using that set up, and always stayed snug and dry.
The dd single pole tarp tent is OK for a couple of nights if you are moving around, very light, and minimalist, though I must admit to having gorrilla taped top and bottom over the hole in the inner, and purchased a pack of the old fashioned tent pole dishes for the pole to sit in. A very cheap mod, and I no longer have a hole in the floor!

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
I'd rather rely on my tarp and hammock. Been through some real weather using that set up, and always stayed snug and dry.
Same here, i have experienced really bad weather and winds in my hammock/tarp, worse than the tent in the video. Up to the point i was amazed on how much a hammock/tarp can handle and still i'd stay dry and warm in my quilts.

Reactions: SaraR

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Same here, i have experienced really bad weather and winds in my hammock/tarp, worse than the tent in the video. Up to the point i was amazed on how much a hammock/tarp can handle and still i'd stay dry and warm in my quilts.
Problem then is the high risk of dead fall putting you into a deep permanent sleep.

Hammocks and tarps have their limitations too even in woodland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE