Laavu & Loue - teepee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
Hi guys, I've just returned from a week in Finland, where it was quite mild, who says climate change is fictitious, I have the chance to buy a Laavu, Loue or a sami-style Teepee (this can be modified to become a Laavu) they're about €500 - the Loue would be c€300 - having slept in the fixed structure Laavu (i.e. more of a lean-to) I'd welcome opinions & advice from those more experienced in this type of camping.

The fabric is polyester and it will have a liner/second skin about 80cm up the inside to allow air to flow in but not draw across the occupants. The teepee will be c3.5/4m diameter so 3/4 people & a central fire.

Is this a good price, having seen one the quality is very well made, do you know of any UK alternatives. No poles or pegs but a 4m sapling and 12 tent pegs from small sticks are "easily acquired".

Thanks in advance of your input/views.

Jules

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Twodogs and Decorum both have Loues :)

Yup, good bit of kit :D .

As you can probably see from the 'sweep' on the left of the pic, the shape of the Vihe Loue II isn't suitable for joining two together to make a tipi / laavu / bell tent. I've not seen the smaller Vihe I (two person version*) and have no experience at all of the Savotta Loue, but I'm fairly certain from the web searches I did that the shape of the canopy on both are very similar to the Vihe II :eek:

With a heater and reflector they're nice and warm :D

Cliff did a good run through in this thread :D ~ thread contains Martti's link to a MYOG pattern ;)

Price in SOS today is 180 Euros which converts to just under £150 (at time of posting) plus postage ~ I'm pretty sure the price of the item has risen roughly £30 (before P&P) in the two years I've had mine ... :yikes:

I'm very glad I went for the slightly wider II as the side skirt makes a world of difference. IIRC, two years ago there was a £10 difference between the Vihe I and II, now it's £30. So, at the time, going larger was an easy choice :D .

Could be a different story for other brands or MYOG's though :dunno:

* But I'm fairly sure someone on the boards mentioned pulling the trigger on one ~ ??? Tiley ???

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
Guys thanks. Might start with CrosslandKelly's tarp solution, play around and see what I like and then decided. Thanks again.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE