kuksas

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
These are the first of this type I have made, turned on the pole lathe than carved. I turned them Friday and finished them yesterday, enjoyed them so much I am off to the workshop on a Sunday to do some more. The design is inspired by some I use at home made by a Swedish friend Ola Forsberg but made a bit deeper and more globular.
396595_284178811703359_27877566_n.jpg

funky_rick

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
monmouth
These are the first of this type I have made, turned on the pole lathe than carved. I turned them Friday and finished them yesterday, enjoyed them so much I am off to the workshop on a Sunday to do some more. The design is inspired by some I use at home made by a Swedish friend Ola Forsberg but made a bit deeper and more globular.
396595_284178811703359_27877566_n.jpg
These look fantastic, would love to get a pair if you decide to sell them, let me know how and where cheers

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thanks for all the nice comments. Sorry Elen I don't do figurative carving I am sure there must be other folk on here that would carve you one with a cat though. I made a couple more today and will have some on the website when they are dry in about 4 weeks time.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hi Robin,

I've wondered for a while how you do the handle of these and the Mazers (spelling?) I assume that you turn them with a rim all the way round then carve off the excess later - tooling marks would suggest this. I have wondered if the pole lathe would allow you to do partial turning, allowing you to just reduce the areas where you don't what the handle.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Hi Robin,

I've wondered for a while how you do the handle of these and the Mazers (spelling?) I assume that you turn them with a rim all the way round then carve off the excess later - tooling marks would suggest this. I have wondered if the pole lathe would allow you to do partial turning, allowing you to just reduce the areas where you don't what the handle.

next time I am doing one I'll try to get an in process shot but basically you carve as much away with the axe as you can before putting it on the lathe then turn above and below the handle and finally finish carve the bit between. It is possible to turn either side of the handle and I do that occasionally when turning lamhogs but it is faster to carve it off and I like the variation in texture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE