Kuksa Questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erdbeereis

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2011
Nebraska, USA
Hello!

I have a maple kuksa in the works, and I was wondering how I should keep it from splitting/cracking. Right now I'm keeping it in a plastic bag filled with the wood chips, is that the right thing to do?
I was also wondering when I'm done, should I boil it in salt water? If so, how should I do it?

Thanks,

Erd

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
i usualy boil if the wood smels bad, but i keep in a plastic bag in the cool garage and thats worked fine for me, you just dont want it to dry out too quick mate

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
To be honest i dont put salt in i just put the kuksa in a bowl pour in the boiling water leave till water is dirty then keep changing for new boiling water untill fairly clean. Im no expert but its always worked for me but i only do it if the wood smells off du to spalting(fungus) or similar usualy if there dark black lines runnng through the wood but its these lines that make the wood look good when its finished. If you just have a nice fresh piece of wood then i shouldnt worry about boiling just dont store in a warm place let it dry slowly. Hope that helps

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
According to T. I. Itkonen and his book "Suomen lappalaiset vuoteen 1945", Sámi people in Finland used to boil the burl in salt water before carving. However some preferred not to boil the burl. The amount of salt is not stated but an ordinary vessel maybe took about three to five liters of water and I would imagine that about a handful of salt was added to the water.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
For what it's worth I've been working on one made from rowan bur for 6 months and there's not a crack in it yet. Mine is in with the wood shavings in one of those fishing seat boxes.

Erdbeereis

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2011
Nebraska, USA
I just started to hollow out the bowl, it takes forever!:p
Is there a faster way to do it? Can I use a drill to make some holes and then carve it out?

Erd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE