Kuksa question

Dec 27, 2015
Pembroke
Hi folks recently got into carving kuksa's to while away the hours while I'm stuck at home. Now as it stands it seems to be traditional to use a halved log, but I was wondering can it be made in the round? As to say if you look at the log from above to see its growth rings could you carve a kuksa in this direction instead? Would it be strong enough or would the grain split? Sorry if it seems a daft question but my carving skills until now have been limited to utensils, walking staffs and bows, any and all advice appreciated TIA.

Sent from my SM-G110H using Tapatalk

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
It all really depends on the wood I go through a lot of birch and have tried the method of which you speak a few times and every time the wood as split around the center pith and out. You can try and leave some extra wood on it while it dries out very slowly but the likelihood is that it will still crack through. The best method I have found is a half log and work upside down.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Reads to me that this will be close to 100% cross-grain carving. Go ahead, it will be impressive. In terms of apparent wood hardness, this is it.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Logs left in the round will almost always split, starting from the pith, as the wood dries out the circumference tries to shrink inwards and the splits open up as the wood gives out at the weakest points.

Cheers, Paul

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
To avoid radial cracking you could use a very well seasoned log, but that would be very hard to carve out. A cheat's way would be to remove most of the waste wood by drilling down with a large diameter Forstner bit.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
or you could carve it in the round and before setting aside to dry, drill a small (1/4"?) hole through the pith. That way when it shrinks the wood has somewhere to go rather than split. Once drying has finished glue a little peg in there to make whole again ;)

There are in the round cups seen in Viking settlements such as York, so it certainly can work even without the drilling idea

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I was just looking at Jarrod Stonedahl's lamhogs which he turns on a pole lathe and wondering how he stops them splitting. I think it is by careful removal of wood in stages but I am not sure.
You could take Dave's idea further and make a shrink pot.

Z

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
It's already been said but yes it does work, I made a drinking cup this way, but it does massively increase the risk of splitting. I had 3 split beyond salvage before I managed it. Best tip is to keep the Kuksa in a plastic bag with some fresh wood shavings whilst it's drying out. Leave a small gap at the top of the bag and give the whole thing a good airing a few times a week to prevent mouldy setting in. If possible keep the bag out in a shed or garage as indoor house temps are murder for making thinks split.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE