Kolrosing. How does the colour stick?

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I have been wanting to kolrose a pattern into this spreader that I carved, but ran into some problems with the technique when I practiced on pieces that aren`t intended as presents.

2013-07-15+14.27.13.jpg

In the next picture is a scoop that I tried to kolrose a very simple picture on. I scored the wood with the tip of my knife, about 1mm deep. Then I rubbed cocoa-powder onto the wood. This stained the whole handle more then I expected it to. I had to carve of a very thin section to find my initial pattern back, but that turned out to be the only bit that was not stained. In the picture you can see part of the pattern, but that is mainly the shadows in the cuts.

P8020466.JPG

Is there anything I have been doing wrong? Is cocoa-powder too fine? Are my cuts not deep enough? Any advice is appreciated.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Wayland's your man. There may also be a kolrosing tutorial somewhere on this site. Try the search engine.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks! I think my fault is not putting oil right after rubbing the powder on. Reading this I`ll also switch to using cinnamon powder, I think.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I would like to try that too, but I do not have the kit for that. I liked the thought of kolrosing because I could just do it with my carving-knife.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks again for the link, threadlightly. Using the technique described by Wayland I have had succes on a practice-piece:

2013-08-06+23.12.19.jpg

Now the fun can begin! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE