Knocked up a quick loaf

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I posted a while back about a turned wood bowl I'd acquired specifically for making bread.

After a hectic month I finally got around to trying it out.

Sorry I forgot to take pictures of mixing the ingredients.

Mixed,formed ready for proving.

7a40b581f6e108e53461384142996aee.jpg

Mixing the ingredients with a wooden bowl was a real pleasure so much more tactile than a food processor. As it's summer and the wood burners not going the only place to prove the dough is next to the towel rail in the bathroom. Doubled in size here's the result.

c1d17697adc172bcf2ff0a36c80213bc.jpg

Next, knock it down reform and another prove in bread tin.

09eb9fbd4608aee753d89bb959117898.jpg

Bake on high for 10 mins and turn down for 25 and here's the result.

7cf228493c151dc8d438f757b882f292.jpg

I've been after the right bowl for bread for quite awhile. It was a pleasure to use this one and I think I'll probably use it for a very long time.

My next aim is to carve some spoons and turn a plate.

Thanks for looking

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Blimey! That looks a really professional job.
lol-030.gif

There's obviously an art to it. I tried to make bread on my boat once. Came out of the oven crusty brown on top and inside... like a concrete block. Couldn't cut it at all so I hit it with a spanner to break it up and threw the pieces into the river. First Seagull to swoop down and swallow a bit sank....:lmao:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Its very difficult, I find to get one, as light and airy as the bread from the shops.

I've tried the ones without yeast, tried doing it normally, and lately the sourdough starter methods, which Ive had the most success with. They are all very dense though compared to a loaf of warburtons!

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Great result. Your bowl appears to have been carved, not turned, yes? If so, quite a treasure. Wood sounds soft.

Yep it's carved not turned.

I'm no bread making expert and it always amazes me how different flours behave. This was made with 500g of flour. 75% Stoneground from our local mill and 25% Allisons Strong White bread flour.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd enjoy my weekly bread making in a bowl like that, like for the past thousands of years.

Major bread manufacturers here use yeast only as a flavoring.
They can whip water and flour into a foam, scale it and get it into a continuously travelling oven before the foam flops.
Isn't that a discouraging revelation?

You might want to try to back away somewhat from the "strong" = high gluten flours as those resist a big rise.
To foul up gluten strength, use maybe 1 tsp salt and 1 tbs melted butter (olive oil has a stronger interference effect) with your 500g flour.
Cake and pastry flour is "weak," I don't like the granularity in the crumb, maybe 20% in my usual bread formula.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Text book: Professional Baking by Wayne Gisslen. Used in all the Cordon Bleu cooking schools. Probably 6th - 8th edition by now, I got it as a gift.
Borrow from your library, even on interlibrary loan. Look to buy used in abeBooks.UK. I don't think it's worth the price new for 1,000 recipes.

However, the introductory pages for many of the chapters really explain clearly what is happening in the baking process.
That's the part I like, to know what's going on with yeasts, other additives, temperatures, poolis, sponge etc methods for artisan bready things.
Gaudette's pictures are theirs to be sure but look as though they were lifted from the textbook.

Ive been given others, such as Bertinet's "Dough." Lots of ideas for make-up.
No, I don't believe I have the time to mess with bread making for 2 days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE