Knives, time for a new one...

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Heh all, Im deliberating what sort of knife to upgrade too. I currently use a frosts mora knife, a great piece of kit thats lasted me years. However id like something with a wider tang and a little more asthetically (spellings not great i know) pleasing... Trawled through more knife sites than i care to remember and apart from the 'Bushcraft pattern' knives that cost £150+ and have months long waiting lists, there seems to be very little out there. Probably be a little easier if i wasnt so picky but its got to be carbon steel for me.
Any thoughts any one?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
dont really want to spend more than £50, but it would depend on the knife.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah those grohmann knives are certainly nice looking.Heh sorry... clicked that link before i finished reading :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
heh thanks those 'Trading Post' knives look ideal, might get one from the HM line. £40 is a great price! Thanks alot :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Why not try making one,
There are a number of kits available within your budget, Brisa do a huge range of parts and full kits, or there are a number of makers doing WL copies for around the £50 - £70 mark.

ATB

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I agree on the Grohmann front - fantastic knives. I use the large skinner and its a delight to use

image0322wn.jpg

image0333kx.jpg

Its not the classic bushcraft knife, but I love it - and we don't all want to have a Woodlore clone! If you ever hunt or skin, try one!

The other thing to try would by a Fallkniven F1 - a tenner over your budget, but with a choice of sheaths - including a fully enclosed one designed to hang lower than normal and not foul the hip belt on your Bergan which is very handy - have a look on Outdoorcode and tell Andrew I sent you if you like them

fa001fu.jpg

I must admit that I thought I wouldn't ever want another knife after the Grohmann....then I had a love at first sight event caused by a nasty Swedish custom knife smith.....

MainPicture.jpg

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
How about a Frosts Lapplander in my experience its a good allrounder it comes with a good sheath and looks nice too and is only 70 quid ;)

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
If you have some time on your hands, can work with a drill, a file and sandpaper, build your own.
Numerous good blades around. Lots of tips and tricks available on f.e. britishblades.com. Nothing beats using your own knife in the woods.

I just finished this one:
wl_finished_3.jpg

This one is based on a blade from swc handmade knives.
Lots of makers like that available. The blade cost me around 50
pounds. Including material costs, you can end up with such a knife for about 65 pounds.

-Emile

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
My main knife is a Helle Jergemester, a bit bigger than the usual bushy type knives, but I like to have a bigger blade, its made from triple laminated stainless steel, and quite a nice curly birch handle, I got it from Hienne haynes, £ 50 ish and delivered the next day..... :yikes:
My colleagues got a lapp pucko, carbon blade, smaller, great knife he's not had any probs so far, i think he payed about £35 ish.
My other knives a Tramontina amazonas, it was about £18, but it's a real croc dundee job :lmao:
Mark

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
try a look at Hiennie Haynes web site, hundreds to choose from, Brusletto kit inc. sheath making materials for £23.95, mine should be arriving t/day i hope :D , excellent service as well, as has been mentioned try a look around British Blades for more info.

regards,
ship ;)

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Yep i agree with the others for your money i would go for a falcy F1 However you ould always have a look for a Stew Marsh to come up second hand on e-bay they are great value for money but start at around £150 but just as good as the Alan Wood (I know cos i had one) and as we all know they go for silly money! :D :lmao: :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE