Knives on airplanes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kent Clark

Nov 23, 2014
Crewe
I am going to be travelling to California on business for a couple of weeks in January. I will be flying BA from Manchester to LA. I will have a few days leisure time and plan to visit some of the wilder places, away from the cities.

I would like to take a fixed-blade bushcraft knife with me. Obviously I would carry it in my checked bag, not in the cabin. Does any know the rules on this? It is the arrival in the US that concerns me. Also arriving back in the UK.

Here's what BA say on their website under banned and restricted items:

"Larger scissors/knives (blades greater than 6cm (2.4in) and sharp or pointed scissors/small knives" may be carried in baggage in the hold.

I am also wondering if it is worth risking anyway, even if the regulations allow it. Might it be more sensible to carry my usual Victorinox knife.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A knife wrapped up securely in your hold luggage is nothing to worry about, the laws at the US end are something you should check out though. Is it legal to bring your chosen fixed blade knife int the state of california, what about any unscheduled stopovers in between.

Consider wrapping the knife in cardboard and sealing in a jiffy bag for transit.

I'm sure a US member will be along shortly.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Don't carry any knife on your person, they'll take it and you might get done, put your SAK in the hold; when you get there buy a Mora or somesuch adequate knife and use that during your stay. Either give it to somebody as a gift when you leave or post it home to yourself. You might even take the opportunity to buy yourself a decent knife at US prices, use it whilst there and then post that back to yourself.

Kent Clark

Nov 23, 2014
Crewe
A knife wrapped up securely in your hold luggage is nothing to worry about, the laws at the US end are something you should check out though. Is it legal to bring your chosen fixed blade knife int the state of california, what about any unscheduled stopovers in between.

Consider wrapping the knife in cardboard and sealing in a jiffy bag for transit.

I'm sure a US member will be along shortly.

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly wrap it in cardboard even though I am taking the sheath.

Don't carry any knife on your person, they'll take it and you might get done, put your SAK in the hold; when you get there buy a Mora or somesuch adequate knife and use that during your stay. Either give it to somebody as a gift when you leave or post it home to yourself. You might even take the opportunity to buy yourself a decent knife at US prices, use it whilst there and then post that back to yourself.

Thanks. Good idea, though I don't want to be buying any more knives, even if they are a bit cheaper in the US. I won't have time anyway. And unfortunately, if I were to post a knife back to myself I would have to pay insured shipping, import duty, VAT on top of everything. If I can't safely take one though, I will do as you suggest and buy a Mora and then give it to friend before I return.

Last edited:

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
There is no problem carrying any knife or axe etc as checked luggage. These things are just tools after all! People get worked up about it but you are even allowed to carry dire arms as checked luggage. You quoted the rules above and they say you can take it so you can take it. Be aware or the rules here and there. You have a reason to carry here so no problem. I don't know the California laws but generally in the us they are much more relaxed than here. An exception I know of is new york where you can't carry in manhatten. Lots of camping and hiking in California so I doubt there would be a problem. Have a good time!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Over to CA multiple times per year. You can take fixed blades and lockers in and out no problem. I do about 6 flights a year for the last 4 years and never been bothered, always take a lock knife in hold baggage (part of my gerber mutlitool). I have also taken a fixed over 2 or 3 times and brought 3 lockers back with me at different times.
As per the advice, hold luggage only and securely sheathed. The only issue I can imagine is if you try and bring back something illegal to the UK, flick/gravity knives etc

HTH

Alan

Kent Clark

Nov 23, 2014
Crewe
Over to CA multiple times per year. You can take fixed blades and lockers in and out no problem. I do about 6 flights a year for the last 4 years and never been bothered, always take a lock knife in hold baggage (part of my gerber mutlitool). I have also taken a fixed over 2 or 3 times and brought 3 lockers back with me at different times.
As per the advice, hold luggage only and securely sheathed. The only issue I can imagine is if you try and bring back something illegal to the UK, flick/gravity knives etc

HTH

Alan

Thanks Alan. My alternative to a fixed blade would be my Victorinox Trailmaster, with its large locking blade and saw. That might be my best option anyway.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As has been said already, you'll have no problem bringing a fixed blade here as long as it's in checked baggage. However I'd recommend a piece of lockable hard luggage rather than soft luggage. That's a requirement for firearms and I would imagine the requirement for knives to be similar.

I never travel without a few knives and a handgun and I've had no problems.

Last edited:
Hi Kent Clark!

I reside in California and have packed my Fallkniven F1 with me on many international trips. As others have pointed out, the knife must be packed in your checked luggage. I leave mine in its sheath (zytel) and have never had any problems.

As a precaution, I pack the knife along with other outdoor gear in my duffel. I do not want to draw attention to it if my bag is scanned. The outdoor gear also explains my intent to any observer.

There are certain laws that you must follow when in California. A fixed-blade knife *must never* be carried as a "concealed weapon." Wear your knife only when you are out hiking. The knife must be carried on your belt, in full view. The laws are designed so carpenters, hunters, and fishermen are not criminalized.

With that said, if I am hiking in a "touristy" place, i.e. Griffith Park, I would leave the knife in my backpack. I think it is better than making people uncomfortable.

If you are hiking in public parks (i.e. state parks/national parks), remember that your knife is to be used for emergencies. The plants/animals in many of these areas are protected and cutting or removing wood (even dead wood) is prohibited. If you go into the Angeles National Forest, you are allowed "primitve use" (non-commercial) activities.

Always obey fire restrictions. It is considered bad form to set hundreds of acres ablaze. :)

The last thing to be aware of is that if you enter the Angeles National Forest, you will need an "Adventure Pass." This is a tag you hang on your internal rearview mirror that allows you to park anywhere in the forest. It is essentially an "entry fee" that supports the upkeep of the forest. You can purchase them online. However, most outdoor retail stores (REI, Sports Chalet) sell them. They cost $5.00 for a day. You scratch off the day/date you are using the pass for when you are ready to use it.

I hope this helps. Have a fun trip!

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I did some googling and found the definitive answer on TSA's website. Yes you can take knives, axes, swords, etc. in checked baggage, but not in carry-on.

For the safety and security of the traveling public, TSA, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and/or airlines have prohibited certain items from being brought onto airplanes in carry-on and/or checked bags. To help you plan ahead and avoid the potential of additional screening, be sure to check out the prohibited items list below and pack accordingly.

When I Fly,Can I Bring My...?Enter Item Name through the security checkpoint?

As an added information source for passengers, you can also use the "Can I Bring…?" tool from the My TSA iPhone and mobile app to get information on an item you want to bring on a plane. Simply type the name of the item in the box and you'll get information on whether or not it's prohibited and other information to help you speed through security. You can also access the tool from your mobile device if it has a web browser.
Downloadable Brochures
Download the Prohibited Items brochure (383kb, pdf)

It’s important to know that even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane. Also, please note that some dangerous items below are illegal in certain states and passengers will be subject to state law. It is a passenger’s responsibility to be aware that origination and destination cities may have local laws prohibiting the possession of these items.

Sharp Objects
Item
Prohibited
Carry-on?
Checked?
Box Cutters
NO
OK
Ice Axes/Ice Picks
NO
OK
Knives - except for plastic or round bladed butter knives
NO
OK
Meat Cleavers
NO
OK
Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, and safety razor blades (disposable razors and their cartridges are permitted)
NO
OK
Sabers
NO
OK
Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than 4 inches are allowed, but blades longer than 4 inches are prohibited
NO
OK
Swords - cutting or thrusting weapons, including fencing foils
NO
OK
NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

Kent Clark

Nov 23, 2014
Crewe
Thank you so much Woodsorrel and Santaman2000. You have both given me some excellent and very thorough advice. Many thanks.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
sounds like your all good to go Mr Clark, enjoy and dont forget the pic's for when you get back, or it never happened...;)

have a gooden..

chris.

Kent Clark

Nov 23, 2014
Crewe
sounds like your all good to go Mr Clark, enjoy and dont forget the pic's for when you get back, or it never happened...;)

have a gooden..

chris.

For some reason I am not yet permitted to post attachments. I can post photos if they appear somewhere else, like on FaceBook, but not upload them to this forum. I don't exactly know why.

I am going to California to attend NAMM, a huge music trade show. Last year I went up the coast and visited Santa Cruz island and the Los Padres National Park. hope to do something similar this year. I will be reliant on friends though as I won't have a vehicle.

KEN

Here's a photo from last January. The Los Padres National Forest.

1890638_10203057997992456_1522189354_o.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That looks like a great trip to go on

For some reason I am not yet permitted to post attachments. I can post photos if they appear somewhere else, like on FaceBook, but not upload them to this forum. I don't exactly know why.

You have to be a full member to be able to post pictures direct from your computer. Most folks use an image hosting site like Photobucket or Flikr and post from there.

Kent Clark

Nov 23, 2014
Crewe
Hmmm... How do we know that isn't Crewe? :)

Too bad it is winter, when driving to the Sierras is more difficult. A visit to Yosemite National Park would change your life.

Have a great trip!

- Woodsorrel

Yosemite is definitely on my list for the future. For this trip, somewhere closer to the coast. The weather is always lovely in January as long as I don't get to high up. I visit NAMM in Anaheim every year.

Kent that looks awesome,have a wonderful trip mate, and happy new year...:)

regards.

Chris.

Thank you Chris. You too.

That looks like a great trip to go on

You have to be a full member to be able to post pictures direct from your computer. Most folks use an image hosting site like Photobucket or Flikr and post from there.

I am looking forward to it. Thanks very much for the info.

KEN

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE