Knives for Scouts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Im am I Scout leader and I am also employed by South Yorkshire Scout County Council so I deal with Scout procedures daily; I hear so many different "rules" the have apparently come from headquarters, even from District commisioners.

This is the Scout Associations Official Policy on Knives -

Knives should be considered as a tool and treated as such. Those who are going to use them should get training for their use, as you would for a saw or an axe. Knives are an offensive weapon so great care should be taken when dealing with them. When undertaking training at the Scout HQ, knives should be taken to and from Scouts by an adult. When taking a knife to camp, they should be securely stowed in the middle of the rucksack or bag.

If you consider a knife as a tool, then you should use the appropriate tool for the job. The vast majority of Scout use will only require the use of a pen or clasp knife, the cutting of string, cooking or whittling. Where you have a larger task, such as splitting wood, a larger knife such as a sheath knife may be appropriate. If you relate this to axes, you would not use a hand axe to fell a tree, nor a felling axe to split wood.

There is an issue with regard to clasp knives and lock knives. A lock knife is one where the blade stays open unless some mechanism is used to close the blade. In the eyes of the Law, this is more of an offensive weapon than a standard clasp knife because of this multiple action. From a safety point of view, a lock knife can not fold onto the users fingers and may be better.

The carriage of knives is also to be considered. If a knife is considered as a tool, you would only really carry the knife when there is an expectation to use the tool, after all, you wouldn't carry an axe around a campsite on the off chance of coming across some wood to chop. Therefore, knives when not being used should be stowed away until such time as they are needed. Legally, you are not allowed to carry a knife in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse. A campsite, which may technically be private property as it is owned by a District or County, is considered as public property because of its use. Knives should not be carried unless they are going to be used, and should be put away when not in use.

https://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/1515

So there isnt really much restriction of their use; so its down to the judgement and skill of the leader as to what they allow.

Last edited:

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
I don't agree with the part where it says campsites owned by a District or County should be considered a public place, It sets a precident

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Just to add I have a childs opinel which my(Beaver) son uses under supervision but I wouldn't advocate Knife and Axmanship for 6 year olds....
I would advocate knife work for Beavers but it would be with small knives and basic jobs.

Axes are different and the advice is introduce to older cubs at the earliest.

Note this is for the SA.

As for Matthew passmores comments I teach my scouts to batton wood with a knife as its safer than them using an axe and trying to hold a peice of wood and let go just before the axe hits it.:yikes:

:camping:

Last edited:

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
Risking Thread drift, what activities would you recommend for Beavers not just knife but Bushcraft based.

We are a suburban London Group with our own Scout hall so prior preparation isn't a problem but the only outdoors area we can use is strangely a public 1/2 acre unkempt wood. This apparently only has one entrance but would be impossible to check thoroughly for dangerous things/undesirables.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE