knife with most comfortable handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I'd just like some opinions.I'm wondering which bushcraft style factory knives have the most comfortable handles?
I realize everyone will have a different answer, but I'm thinking that one model might be known for having a better feeling handle than others, one that might really stand out.
A custom knife would be the way to go of course, but right now it's not an option.
To me, a handle that allows for long comfortable use is every bit as important as the blade.I have a Enzo Trapper that is a very nice knife but I find the handle to be somewhat uncomfortable to use for any length of time.
So please give me your favourites, maybe i can narrow things down somewhat.Thanks.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Probably in order I like kraton, micarta, leather, I'm not keen on things like hard plastics, bone and antler but some people love 'em. I like plenty of bulk in a handle and because I have fairly broad hands I like the handle to be longer than many handles are. I have some old fixed blades like the SOG Tech, and the handles are very comfortable. They weren't cheap 20 years ago and might be a bit pricey now, I don't know.

My hands are fairly tough from years of abuse so I don't easily get blisters from dimples, fasteners etc. but some people have trouble with things like that fairly quickly.

Many production knives nowadays seem to have very flat scales and they feel a bit 'edgy' and uncomfortable to me, I much prefer an oval cross-section with nothing even vaguely resembling a sharp corner. Having said that I use folders and multi-tools a lot and I suppose I'm just used to them, at least the ones that I own, they don't give me any trouble -- well, except one of them (SOG ToolClip) which has been relegated to the fireside for quite a few years because not only is it very uncomfortable, it also bites. For a fixed blade you could probably get around sharp corners by wrapping with self-amalgamating tape and/or something else but that won't work with a folder. :)

You're really only going to know what you'll like by holding and using it, but you might not be able to get much quality time with a tool before buying it unless you can borrow one. That's a touchy subject with some people here. :( One thing to note if you only get a few minutes to make up your mind, if there's anything about a tool that brings itself to your attention when you first pick it up, then you can be sure it won't let you forget about it when you're using it for a couple of hours.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thank you for the reply but I forgot to specify that I'm referring to fixed blades and to the shape/style etc, rather than the actual handle material.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I've also got wide hands and changed from a Bark River Highland (Canvas micarta handles) to an F1 (Thermorun rubber and longer) - I find the F1 very comfortable - it looks very functional and not "pretty" but it works very well and is comfortable for me in use for long periods of time. They're not cheap though. Get a 2nd hand one if you can - I did :)

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
One of the most comfortable I have is the Spyderco Bushcraft knife. I bought one of the second model's (needed no repair, just a little sanding and some danish oil ) . I would not have paid full price but at the price I paid for the second it has become one of my favourites....... Great feel, and lovely curves.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i missed one of those the other day, the handle looks really comfy and has had good write ups. Still kicking myself for being slow on that one !

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
One of the most comfortable I have is the Spyderco Bushcraft knife. I bought one of the second model's (needed no repair, just a little sanding and some danish oil ) . I would not have paid full price but at the price I paid for the second it has become one of my favourites....... Great feel, and lovely curves.

I'd second that (mine needed slight repair though) good in the hand, better that any other production knife I have encountered. I really want one of the G10 ones due out but if they're as expensive as the prices being passed around it won't happen.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Robbi,I can get one of the new ones here for $198 Cdn (about 124GBP) Do you consider that good or bad?
I've actually wondered about the handles on that knife-they look very comfortable-but it's always hard to tell in a picture.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Have a look at the Fallkniven H1,oval shaped Kraton handle,5mm thick spine,superb convex grind and built like a tank,i have used mine for prolonged periods of time and never any problems,marketed as a hunting knife but underated for other uses IMO, my favourite production knife and i own quite a few.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I think the Murphy version of the Grohmann Russell knife has a very comfortable handle. The handle is wider than the Grohmann.

murphyrussell1c.jpg

You can pick these up for 30 bucks.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i second this, out of all the knives i have, this one comes up tops for the ergonomics, every time

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
Have a look at the Fallkniven H1,oval shaped Kraton handle,5mm thick spine,superb convex grind and built like a tank,i have used mine for prolonged periods of time and never any problems,marketed as a hunting knife but underated for other uses IMO, my favourite production knife and i own quite a few.
+1

Kind regards
Mick

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
As just posted on a different thread I love the shape and feel of the Karesuando Boar Knife as they fit my hand like a glove.

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I have an Enzo Trapper fitted with cocobolo scales. Oval in cross section as Ged mentioned above.
It works for me and my wife. while I come in at a big over six foot fellow and wife at jsut five four in her heels the knife suits us both for dressing small game up to and including roe deer. The only job (for the deer) is the cutting the whole into joints which falls to the kukri. All other jobs are fulfilled by the Enzo.

ardri

Dec 31, 2006
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
I like the SOG handles, I have and use a Field Pup, my hands do not get sore or tired. If you have access to some Canadian or Americian websites this knife is a bargin. Don't really know what the shipping across the Pond would be but it would be worth looking in to it.
Regards
Ardri

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got a few good ones for this,
The Spydie Bushcrafter is incredibly comfortable.
Also,
Cold Steel Master Hunter,
And,
A Pukko I picked up at the moot a few years ago.
It has a fatter handle than usual with a shorter deeper blade.
It's great for carving.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I think the Murphy version of the Grohmann Russell knife has a very comfortable handle. The handle is wider than the Grohmann.

Hoodoo, I've never liked the looks of that handle.I have heard good things about it but never could bring myself to get one:yuck: As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:D
Thanks for the suggestion though.

It seems that the most votes go to the Spyderco Bushcraft. I believe you have one of these as well. What's your opinion on it?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hoodoo, I've never liked the looks of that handle.I have heard good things about it but never could bring myself to get one:yuck: As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:D
Thanks for the suggestion though.

It seems that the most votes go to the Spyderco Bushcraft. I believe you have one of these as well. What's your opinion on it?

I have one that Chris put scales on. I have to agree with those that say the handle is super comfortable. I also totally agree with the Kellam Wolverine choice. Both great knives. I am generally not a fan of textured Kraton handles except for hunting. Textured Kraton handles tend to rub me raw during woodcraft work, as do deeply textured micarta and G10 handles like you see on "tactical" knives.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE