Knife made with Gransfors Bruk

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
I recently went to the bushcraft show in derbyshire, and as a birthday present from my family i had a session booked with the Gransfors Bruk stand to make my own neck knife! It was amazing, i'd never done anything like blacksmithing before but always thought it an incredible art. Anyways, this is the knife i hammered out of steal! Just thought i'd share...photo.jpg

Did anyone else have a go at this last weekend? how'd you do?

Erro

All that is gold does not glisten

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Nicely done.

You can't beat the feeling of making something like that yourself! :You_Rock_

I've always enjoyed using the tools I make.
Andy

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Made the same knife at last years show. It was a bit hectic in the tent, they were running late, 8 people sharing (or fighting over) one furnace, 2 anvils & 2 grinders and it was one of the hottest days of the year. Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Was it better organised this year ?

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
i was in the first group of the morning so there was just the four of us over the same equipment you, so it wasn't so hectic. but we did start to run over at the end so it felt a little rushed. that said though it was a great experience.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
That probably made a huge difference, I think I was about 2pm so all earlier groups had run late, and there were some of the previous group heat treating & grinding when we started.

Jun 15, 2011
Hampshire
Very nice. My friend made one as well and my other friend brought one of their demo ones cheaply.
There was about 3/4 people a session and 1 furnace.

I don't think Paul from Gransford stopped at all all weekend. On the Sunday night they were still working away at about 11pm helping people!

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
That looks great mate it must have been fun.

I did a day with Dave Budd last year and that was just great I am handling the blades currently and loving that too.

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
I'm not too sure, it was a gift for me but i think i over heard one of the other guys saying it was £65. Money we'll spend in my opinion too, something about hitting red hot steal with a hammer...mmmm

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Lol fair enough.

You have the bug now. Give it a month and you will need to scratch that itch again.

Andy

CurtisJohnson

Jun 7, 2012
Durham
I did it this year too, the price might sound a bit steep, but man was it worth it :) Paul was really helpful and friendly with all of us on the course, and I left with a (relatively :/ ) well made piece of kit. I agree with Erro, money definately well spent.

Curtis

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I was there and watched people doing this, it looked a lot of fun .
I have to say the gransfors stand was first open in the mornings and last closed at night (even after the beer tent on sunday) the guys there worked really hard to get as many people forging as possible , a great effort I recon :)

Nice knife by the way :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE