Knapsack

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi,
I had some left over canvas and made up this knapsack with it . The straps are veg tanned leather

img1109za3.jpg

img1110sh6.jpg

img1111zd1.jpg

img1112iu2.jpg

Thankyou for looking.
Topknot

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Looks lovely, but I'm just a little consfused (easily done). Any chance of a couple of snaps with something in it so I could get my bearings?

Great job though!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Very nice. let me see if I can guess what all the sections do. Well, it's obvious that there's a main compartment, with it's own flap and closures. The outer flap seems to be double thickness canvas with a slot worked into the inside. The principal reminds me a bit of a market wallet of about 200 years ago. The slot allows you to keep items ready to hand easily so you can just pull them out through the slot without the need to open the main compartment. And the reason for the buckles being at the base of the bag is to give loads of packing room so this bag can really bulge when it's packed. I take it you are going to pop a load more holes in the straps to accommodate a full pack?

Am I correct?

Eric

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi ,
Thank you for the words Eric. Yes i will put more holes in the straps , i got the pattern from the Buckskining book No2 . The bag was sewn on my old sewing machine and the leather was done by hand. Canvas from the market, the man is good as gold i ask and a week later something turns up . I will post a pattern later.
Cheers Topknot.

Teno

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2007
Argentina
Sorry, the slot on the top has a communication with the main compartment ??? This kind of bag seems to be perfect to my survival kit! If you can post a pattern, and some more detailed pictures about the top slot and it function, I will really appreciate.

Marcelo, from Argentina

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The top slot is simply a quick way of getting stuff out of and into the front flap. It does not give access to the main compartment. Imagine if you will, you have your bread and cheese wrapped in a linen handkerchief. It's in the main compartment along with your firelighting kit, tinder, pipe and tobacco. It's all in there neat and tidy and you are happily wandering on your journey. The weather is fine but there are clouds in the distance. You have a lightweight waterproof jacket but you don't need it at the moment. So you scrunch it up and stick it in the slot in the front flap. You also have your folded map in there.

It starts raining, so you just undo the front flap, pull out your waterproof without the need to open the main compartment and put it on. Then you can pull out your map the same way, check it and stick it back in again without risk of your bread, cheese,tobacco or tinder getting wet.

Well, that's it's traditional use, but in modern parlance it's basically the same. A knapsack with an extra easy to access compartment in the lid.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE