Kit list

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Hi, this is general kit that i take when out for night or two in Scotland.
When out i usually try and do a bit of exploring and fishing. I think the kit i now have covers all bases as usually any comments welcome, thanx.

p1010148ey5.jpg

From top left-right
Wayland type stove (had to have a go and make one i was bored a xmas)
Old gas stove
Hexi stove just below in brown bag
(stove type varies usually cook food on open fire)
FAK
Para cord
Toilet paper
DD tarp & hammock
Ultra lite sleeping bag + bivi
Gelert self inflating matress at the side

2x 1Ltr aluminium bottles
1 person nesting pan set+KFS
Frost mora
Other knife
MOD machete
Folding saw
Axe
Sharpening kit- aldi's
Millbank bag
Inflatable pillow
Dry bag

Grey tub (far left)- fire lighting kit
Small torch
Head torch
Spare batteries there somewhere
Posibles pouch/survival kit

Bottom left of pic-
Avon woodland fresh moisturiser- keeps the midges away
Binoculars
telescopic rod and reel
Food for free
Compass
Map of Trossachs area
Camo gortex waterproofs

Pouch contents-
Survival blanket – foil
Matches
Fire steel
Lighter
Tinder
Resealable plastic bags x2
Tape
Compass
Water purification tablets
Wire saw
Multi tool/knife
Signal mirror
Needle and thread
Surgical blades
Fishing kit
Candle
Whistle
Snare wire
Small LED torch
Batteries for above
Pencil
Paper
Vaseline

Food and clothes vary depending on time of year, location and length of stay.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Seems like a lot of sharps! Why not just the mora and the saw or axe? Aside from the legal aspects of justifying that lot, why lug around what must surely be a lot of dead weight?

Scoops

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Yep probally spot on with the sharps, shoud probally leave the axe behind due to the weight and the folding saws do a good job.
As for the gas stove never had a problem with it but can imagine if it went pop, come to think of it not used it in a while - into the garage it goes!

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
More lightweight backpacking than bushcraft, but one rule of thumb I've always used is look at the functions of things and if you have two things that do the same thing, ditch one. Another method of refining kit is to leave things you don't use on one trip behind on the next (with the exception of emergency gear!)

Most important though is getting out and enjoying yourself :D

Scoops

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I always carry a group shelter (an MRT habit I cant seem to break)

I have a couple of those (2 person and 8 person), they are fantastic. They turn somewhere cold wet and exposed into somewhere warm and sheltered almost instantly.

Only problem is, once you're inside you really don't want to go back outside :rolleyes:

Scoops

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Thanks for the comments, now i'm on the look out for a karrimor sabre 45 with side pouches, seems to be a popular choice. I like the idea of the yoke and side pouches for day trips and then zip the lot together for the longer over night trips, saves two different bags,transfering kit between and then forgetting bits and bobs.
This is the cheapest i've came across yet

http://www.aktive8.com/p/Karrimor/Day-Packs-41-50-Litre-Rucksacks/Sabre-45-Rucksack/03-6030.html

any other recommendations on either bag or supplier would be appreciated, thanks.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
Rochester, Kent
Snugpac Stamina is an awesome little pack and cheaper than the Karrimor.

The Snugpac Bergen is also cheaper than the Karrimor, plus its a 100L, you may say its too big for your needs, but it comes with two removeable pouches that are 15L each.

You can never have too much kit ;)

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Thanks for the reply Jamie,
just checked out the snugpak range and the stamina looks a good bag although it doesn't seem to have the side pouches that are available with the bergen and rocketpak.
I think the rocketpak looks like a good alternative to the sabre, works out roughly same price at £56, do you know if the yoke set up such as the one for the sabre would be available on this pack?

rat pac

Sep 8, 2007
Kingston Surrey
Evening all
I have a rocket pac its very small in the back
Im 5ft7 and it just will not sit right on the hips due to fact that its meant to sit over webbing so mine will go in classifieds as soon as i can find a replacement
hope this helps
regards
Ratpac

...do you know if the yoke set up such as the one for the sabre would be available on this pack?

Yes the Daysack Yoke is universal for all PLCE Side Pockets as it is part of the 'PLCE' range which are made to common specifications. Just make sure you get the right yoke (there are 2 - one for use with the belt pouches etc, and one to convert the side pockets into a pack). The one for the side pockets has the quick-release buckles compatable with the side pockets. (There's a thread with a link here on BCUK which shows how the set up works - sorry not sure how to post the link).

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Thanks,
I have heard a few people now mention that the rocketpak is a bit short in the back, i'm about 5ft 8" so i would assume the same problem would occour think i'll stay on the look out for the sabre 45L
Cheers for the info guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE