Kindle? Nexus? Nook? Galaxy?

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I read a lot and like to lie in my hammock reading of a night. Being me, I'm sure I would like to be able to do web-things and maybe even watch films as well as read! Advice on Kindle, Nexus, Nook & Galaxy would be much appreciated.

Battery life is a big consideration, of course!

Elen Sentier

Guys, you are angels :), love to see your Kindles. I still hope to be at Northwood tomorrow but ... I effectively have a broken left foot! The op hasn't healed and the surgeon wants to fix it on 4th Mar (if the hospital will let him !!!). I'm waiting today on being told when I can be pre-op'd, daren't go away as it'd be sod's law that I get to Brum and get a phonecall saying come to pre-op in half an hour!

If it feels OK tomorrow I'll head up to Northwood - fingers (and toes!) crossed.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bog standard Kindle works a treat. My wife uses it on her two hour a day commute and I charge it every three or four weeks but... there is no back light so no good in the dark you need a little light as you would with a book; I've a little clip on LED from poundland which works just fine. Kindle do a version that is back lit but the battery performance is nowhere near as good.

When you start looking at the likes of tablets, they are more multifunctional in that you can watch films, listen to music, browse the net but battery life means you would need a charger or battery pack if you took it camping for a weekend. Also remember that you can only access the internet if you have some sort on internet connection whether it be a (very local) free wi fi hotspot or if you can plug in a dongle and pay for net access.

So, long time reading = basic kindle and some sort of light for camping (head torch will do) = £69

Tablet like an android tab or the samsung, ipad et al = much much less reading time between charges = £75 - £450

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=377610187&pf_rd_i=468294 I'm confident you would have more books than you could read in a year within no time of getting one ;)

Elen Sentier

If it's just reading - Kindle Paperwhite. Backlight + battery lasts for weeks.
Kindle Fire battery = 3 hours. Takes ages to recharge
Ipad battery = 10 hours-ish

Super-useful info, Ta :). Had thought of paperwhite (if money available!) as it's all-in-one and I don't need an extra light, which I will undoubtedly lose !!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE