kinder scout

May 6, 2012
knottingley
hi guys/girls im planning on bagging kinder scout next weekend and was wondering if anyone had any good routes or tips on this trip ? ie things to see places to avoid

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
Their is quite a few routes up kinder i often walk up their from the hayfeild end and up past the resevoir as i only live a short distance away and can walk up their from home their have been quite a few planes crash up their and theirs the odd engine and bits of wing their is more about then on the net and where they are we used to dig them out of the snow for others to look at. We used to bivvi up their as kids and is great fun in the snow their is also good pubs at most of the ways on, one at hayfeild end one at the snake pass and one in edale althogh the walk in from hayfeild past the resevoir is the nearest route for me their is one track in from the glossop side called doctors gate and this is my favourite route their is also a laybay on the road to park in at the start and doesnt get busy like all the rest , the paths are all pretty good they have been up their all summer with the helicopter dropping off stone and improving the paths due to erosion as it gets well walked.

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
The downfall is a must at this time of year as the waterfall should be still fozen up and attracts a few climbers but looks great when frozen all though you might miss it as the weathers warmed up considerably since lasts nights snow and is melting hope you have a nice walk ,and camp if you have one not far below the downfall is mermaids pool some nice spots to camp their or some folk stay on top and make snowholes just watch out for the bogs their harder to spot in the snow and some can be quite deep.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
People think it is a pointy top mountain but it is a large flat wet peat covered plateau. This means heading out into the middle is pretty pointless, all the best routes follow around the edge. If starting from Edale one of my favourites is up Jacobs Ladder (past my workshop) turn right at the top and follow around the edge through all the woolpacks (big wind eroded rocks then drop down either Crowden clough or Grindsbrook depending how long a walk you want.

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
my favourite route up is via grindsbrook clough from edale village. great bit of scrambling at the top too, though we're forecast a large amount of water over the next week so be prepared for soaked ground under foot as the peat plateu is notorious for bogging out in wet weather.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
+1 for the "circumnavigation" on a clear day you'll get some great view's - I always get the train to Edale or Hope fairly regular trains as well :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE