Kilpatrick Hills North West Weegieland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm unfortunate to live on the edge of Gotham (Weegieland for those who are not initiated!) But it's my wife's choice and for the immediate future Gotham is made more tolerable by the accessability of some marvelous wildish places that I've recently started to explore in a little more depth! With the Trossachs only 30 minutes awaythese places get overlooked by the majority and for a half day with no driving they are perfect!

This morning I got up at 5.30am and after a coffee got stuck into some long needed DIY on the outside of the house, by noon I had scraped, sanded and painted enough to enjoy an afternoon exploring. So off we went, my good lady, and my dog n I. First part of the walk went through some rarely explored farmland with a hidden gem. An old ruined Mill house and lead. Picture postcard stuff only 5 mins from Weegieland.
nice109.jpg

The Kilpatrickhills rise very steeply from the Clyde Estuary and they are steeped in history going back at least 4000 years, probably more. This a view towards the clyde. Most of the carved stones have been covered in earth for protection and very little remains of the burial chambers here.

nice098.jpg

We kept climbing gently up a zig zagging rough path to a waterfall for our first wee break.
nice102.jpg

nice058.jpg

There is a waterfall near here called the "Gray Mares Tail" (like in every area in Scotland!), but this is not it, it's hidden in trees further down the burn and harder to reach.

As we climbed higher, the city appeared miles away, it was refreshing being up in the breeze and clean air!
nice093.jpg

We walked alongside a few reservoirs. There was quite a few goosander feeding on them.
nice066.jpg

And it was so chilly in the breeze we stopped for a cuppa in our bothy bag. I bought this a while ago and it's the second time it's been out it's bag. It's a 3 person Trekmates bothy bag and it really does work. You would not believe how warm it was inside compared to sitting out in the wind!
nice068.jpg

The view was terrific and even better with my new Opticron 10x 42 BGA waterproof monocular. Over the last few months it has been getting used every couple of days and it really is a small, tough and good quality alternative to bino's.

nice072.jpg

Can anyone spot the fishing hut?
nice067.jpg

Brochlach was loving it!
nice091.jpg

The view was astonishing for being so close to the Gotham!;)
nice061.jpg

On the long walk home I observed something observing me observing it hidden but not very well camouflaged on the edge of the wood!
nice106.jpg

All in all a great afternoon out although I think my good lady is reconsidering giving up walking! :p Not a lot of wildlife, although what I did see was nice,plenty goosander in the reservoirs, a red kite in the distance and a sparrowhawk in the woods lower down. A nice afternoon on the edge of the city!

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Ta for the links but I'm currently trying to se all the Lothian Stones, was doing that for a month with my parents older Lab, and setting Geocaches at all the Stirling Area Brochs. We found loads of stuff near the Point Sands Campsite at Easter.

Torwood Broch Cache
GC1AX1J - N 56° 02.615 W 003° 52.459

History - Approx two miles north of Larbert lie the remains of medieval Torwood Castle. Built around 1566, not much is known of its history. You can also see the Roman road and the 2,500 year old Torwood Broch built by the Picts within the former Royal Forest of Torwood. Apparently the Castle was a lookout for Stirling Castle. You can see Towood Castle from both the Bannockburn battle site and Stirling Castle, clearly.

Lothian Stones
http://www.ancient-stones.co.uk/lothian/001/001/details.htm

Nick

woods_man

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Clydebank
hi, woodsmoke, nice pics, you where just up the back form me, where is the old mill?
some of the carved stones are still open!
have some pics some where on this pc just cant find them just now! lol

peter..

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
Great post!

I've never heard of bothy bags before - what do you do - how do they work?

Is it like a bigger version of a bivy bag? How big are they to carry around?

Sorry for all the questions lol, I'm just well curious! :)

Thanks for all those kind comments folks. /when I refer to Weegieland and Gotham please take it with a pinch of salt, no offense intended!

As for bothy bags, these were firstly conceived of by Karimor I believe and called Kisu; karimor Instructor Survival bags. Essentially they area waterproof and windproof rectangular box shaped bag which is turned upside down . Several people sitting closely together facing each other,depending on the size of the bag will pull it over their heads, and lean back, making a self supporting shelter from the elements. With several people inside body heat will warm it up and people can sit out a storm or use it when benighted on a hill. It has a draw cord around the base to pull it tight in and to keep out draughts.Usually they can be held up with walking poles to give you more room.

I now have two, a small 2-3 person trekmates bothy bag in orange (the size of a tennis ball), and a huge 6-8 person camouflage one roughly the size of a double bed, (the size of a flat football) which was custom made for me to use a combo overnight shelter/wildlife hide. I received it this morning and will review it soon.

They are rarely used in a bushcraft setting, although I may challenge that view as what I can be used like a tarp but with the shelter of a tent.

WS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE