Killing time until you can be in the wilds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alba

Jan 7, 2012
Scotland
Its torture isnt it? every minute i sit at work thinking of glens and lochs and woods and the thrill of breathing clean air and feeling free

I guess we need to work to get to these places but I must spend most of the day dreaming of being free :)

Dec 11, 2011
Canada
I was just thinking exactly that.

Everyday life in the city is frustrating, I find it unhealthy for me. Saps me of energy. Some people seem to enjoy the constant distraction and titillation of Ratlife, they thrive in it. I've never understood how to do that.

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
Hopefully I'll be living in the wild somewhere in the next few years without needing to return to society for supplies. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not really. I potted up some Valerian to complement the other specifics today, laid up a 200 cell module of seed for next years onion sets, planted up the early pyramid chillis, checked on the chitting potatos in the barn and planded out some garlic chives.

Get out of the rat race guys!

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Out of the rat race is right. i got out a year ago today EXACTLY. Work with animals since then and apart from having to trim my cloth to suit my reduced income i i really enjoy it. Wont bother me if i never see the inside of an office, a company car or an early morning flight again :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
This Rat Race you speak of, is it like the 2.30 race at Cheltenham... or something??...:)
lacorunacopy048.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No No

Greyhounds try to outrun electric rabbits

Rats try to outrun .410 shotguns

They haven't succeeded yet - but they like to try

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
A lot of my work is outdoors in all weathers. generally up a ladder repairing facias and soffits. But the weekends are mine, (providing "shmbo" has'nt got anything else sorted.)
Colin.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I know what you mean, sitting in a classroom trying to understand physics, french and sitting inside on the first sunny saturday of the year doing technology coursework on the computer is quite simply excruciating, but keeping the end in sight is important. If I do well in said subjects then I'll be doing a degree in forestry at UCD. It is incredibly difficult to stay motivated, especially when you know you're missing Birch sap tapping time.
Coffee is the key! lol
cheers

paddy

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Are these a levels then?? How you finding physics?? Funnily enough I was
Thinking exactly this today as well, intact instead of sitting and working on what i should have been. I sat and made a plan for what i was going to do this weekend out in the woods and created an inventory list on excel... That's how bored I got sitting dreaming of the wilderness!!

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
I know what you mean, sitting in a classroom trying to understand physics, french and sitting inside on the first sunny saturday of the year doing technology coursework on the computer is quite simply excruciating, but keeping the end in sight is important. If I do well in said subjects then I'll be doing a degree in forestry at UCD. It is incredibly difficult to stay motivated, especially when you know you're missing Birch sap tapping time.
Coffee is the key! lol
cheers

paddy

stick with it paddy, i know it must be frustrating when all your mates are probably already earning. but your forethought and perseverance will definately pay off in the end :) my eldest lad is just completing his BSc Hons in arboriculture, and i know what hes gone through!

steve

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hi there woodspirits, i've heard the first few years of arboriculture and forestry are quite similar, plant biology and the like and I'm really looking forward to it, to finally study something I'm interested in! And I need to try and find a job if Im gonna do another woodlore course this year, but stay motivated eh?

And yes, bushcraftsman, the dreaded A levels. I'm finding physics bl**dy hard, I've never been good at maths so the last 2 years of it have been hell, the worst part is that I need a decent grade in it for forestry next year. And yes, I get distracted somethin shockin. I'll start writing notes and five minutes later I find myself with my mora in my hand carving a piece of wood into a random shape, or indeed on bushcraftUK. And I like you're use of IT for planning inventory, makes you feel like you're doing something work related hahah.
cheers

paddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE