Kifaru Teepee Tent - Has anyone used one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Hi
I have been looking around for a tent which i can use with a wood burning stove inside and have come across Kifaru teepees in America. http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM
Has anyone used one ? I have a Golite Hex 3 and love it for its light weight and the space and this appears to be a step up from that. The stove provided with the Kifaru teepee looks exceptionally good and very light weight, probably even better than the Moskoselkatan setup.
The only thing about getting one is the import duty/tax ! does anyone know how much this would be ? the tent and stove cost $860 which at todays exchange makes it quite attractive.....
Grateful for any information on this tent and how best to get one back from the USA.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I havent had a chance to use one of these but i have been trying to get my hands on one for ages.

I have heard nothing but good things about them.

the tax and duty will always be a pain, but if you do get one i would love to hear about it.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I suspect the import duties and other tax adds about 23% to the price and this will be charged on the full amount including the postage fees. It may actually be cheaper to find a dealer in the Eastern US and get one of those cut price airline tickets and fetch it yourself. If you slept in it a few days before you got back you might get away with it looking like your normal camping kit...

Regards,

Pete

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
That looks a very nice compact portable stove:

Kifaru -The ParaStove

2* lbs.* 5 oz. . 7 3/4" wide, 13 " long, 1 1/2" thick Packed size. Goes into carry bag. Neat enough to pop into the rucksack :)

Shown with their ParaTarp and poncho around front:

poncho3.jpg

Think I prefer the tipi though but interesting idea. Stick it under the Hennessy hammock and tarp for winter use :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
That looks a very nice compact portable stove:

Kifaru -The ParaStove

2* lbs.* 5 oz. . 7 3/4" wide, 13 " long, 1 1/2" thick Packed size. Goes into carry bag. Neat enough to pop into the rucksack :)

Shown with their ParaTarp and poncho around front:

poncho3.jpg

Think I prefer the tipi though but interesting idea. Stick it under the Hennessy hammock and tarp for winter use :)

Just a note I saw on the stove:

Earlier posts are correct the stove is not an all night heat , due to the fact that the stove is not air tight. It is designed to be a temporary heat and cooking source . You must constantly feed it small branches or pieces of wood (unless it is hard wood).However it is very nice to come in from the rain or cold and be able to dry your clothes and stay warm.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Ye i noticed that about the stove not being an allnight heat source, but i think the fact that it is so light and compact makes it more than appealing. I did note that people have been saying that it remains hot for a good few hours into the night and rewarms quickly in the morning.
I found some interesting information about import tax on ebay saying to expect to pay about 40% of the price of the product in import duty and VAT ??
To make matters worse they only sell through their factory in Colorado so a cheap flight to the US to pick one up is out of the question......

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
With regards to tax and duty you also have the nice handling fee. £13.50 for parcel force :yikes: . Only advice I can give you is get it sent by USPS, this side of the pond it'll be delivered by the post office or parcel force and on several occasions they haven't charged me duty, on the other hand if they do sting you it'll hurt.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Attempts have been made by several companys to become dealers for Kifaru, unfortunatly Kifaru is unintrested in sales outside the US.

A real Shame as they are rated very highly

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Stuart said:
Attempts have been made by several companys to become dealers for Kifaru, unfortunatly Kifaru is unintrested in sales outside the US.

A real Shame as they are rated very highly

Stuart is right, approaches have been made and were made a long way back but as Stuart has said, they manufacture and retail themselves they do not wholesale so you can only buy direct. That being said, there is more than one way to skin a cat :naughty:

If you want one, buy one, don't worry about the duty to much it should only be 3.2% of the total value in $ and you will have to pay the VAT, again wouldn't worry to much as we pay VAT on everything its a part of life. People don't think twice about the tax paid on petrol and look at how much tax is paid on cigarettes.................

You need any help with it then drop us a line and we will do our best to help you. :biggthump

Best wishes.

Jack.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I think these are too heavy and not quite what you're looking for but here's couple of links i found a few weeks back while nosing through tents and stoves:

http://www.cylinderstoves.com/deframe defaultstovepricing.htm

http://davistent.com/

Hope that's of any use to you....

I think with a cheap flight to the US and even with an additional internal flight it'd be touch and go whether you paid anymore than buy paying duty...and if you took a week over it you get a free holiday in Colorado into the bargin....just stay in the tent....and any problems with it you can get sorted before you fly home rather than having to post it back!

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Thanks for all the replies i might just have to bite the bullet and order one, i have been asking around and a friend of a friend lives near the factory in Colorado and might be able to get me one and post it over so things are looking up...... i will let you know how i get on.
I had been thinking of a wall tent but after i saw how light these tents were my mind was made up, it would be great to backpack in with a stove on your back.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE