Kids, cloaks and campfires :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At the Moot last year we ended up with half the children running around like extras from Lord of the Rings :D I thought it might be a good time to drop clanging great hints to parents about the cloaks the children wore, and a note about safety.

The cloaks are warm and comfortable, the kids love wearing them :D and they do double duty as an extra blanket for camping, as well as being really snug to sit around in near the family fires at night.
I know at least some of them were used again come Hallowe'en too :cool:

My only concern is for the children near fires if their cloaks aren't made of wool.
Wool blankets can be bought cheaply, if in limited colours, but pure wool cloth can be bought from the reenactors suppliers very reasonably priced too. It comes ready dyed in good natural dye colours. :D

Cotton, nylon, fleece fabric are all comfortable, but none are really safe near the open fires we have at virtually every pitch at the Moot.

I's also ask, more for the very little ones, please make the fastenings easy to come undone should the child get snagged wandering through the trees or undergrowth.

I know that, so far, none have, but the children have such a brilliant time wandering, better safe than sorry.
Velcro's awfully useful for tinies :D I have loads in white if anyone's in need.

If you want to have a go making cloaks or capes, birrus or yoked hoods (think medieval) I'll draw out patterns that can be posted as photos, but I might pester Eric Methven :)notworthy: the man is so good at transfering designs to something rational and computer printable :D ) to have a shot at making downloads for the straightforward ones. I'll also see about posting photos.

I also have loads of small offcuts of wool that would make leaves or other design elements to personalise the cloaks.

Children's cloaks are pretty easy :) they don't need to be tailored, and if you use fulled wool (basically stuff that's partially felted through washing or wear) it shouldn't even need hemmed :D
Hidden pockets and handwarmer pouches are at Mum or Dad's discretion :p

cheers,
M

Last edited:

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
I completely agree, people need to be far more aware than they are around fires. Too many times, as a scout and guide leader, I see people with fleece ponchos sat near a fire on camp. Everyone seems to thing I'm scaremongering, and the risk is minimal, but it can be devastating. When I was younger, I saw a buddy of mine burn his leg quite badly due to an errant spark hitting his synthetic trouser. The material from his mid thigh to the floor went up, and luckily most of it fell away but some stuck to his skin giving leaving scars he still has 10 years later.

I'd be very interested in any designs you may have for cloaks and similar things, as I've just purchased a Merino wool blanket from a charity shop for £3 and I'm looking at making a cloak/poncho design that can become a project for My Ranger unit (14+ in Guiding). If they make wool cloaks, atleast they can't give me excuses as to why they would need use a fleece one!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Benjy have a look at the birrus Britanicus for the easiest to make and practical cloak :)

IMG_8206.jpg

IMG_8208.jpg

cheers,
M

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
For the closures of kids cloaks, what about lanyards from ID badges?
Cut them off and sew the tape with the plastic tab at the neck as a closure.
They should be strong enough to keep the cloak closed plus they will break away if the cloak snags.
They are cheap enough to source too.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Another option if you can't get blankets is wool twill, i've found that some local haberdashers sell it in 60" widths by the yard. you can't half make some nice thin but warm cloaks from that. check your local for the stuff.

i'm liking your idea about badge lanyards there graham, would indeed pop clean off when snagged rather then strangle.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm waiting for the leather ones from Lee for the children's cloaks :) we were aiming for something that little fingers can manage easily and no jaggy pins. Something in natural materials that suited the good wools :)

I hadn't thought about the lanyard clips....will they hold the cloak weight though ? You know what the kids were like running with the cloaks flying :D Neat idea however.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE