Key ring fire steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Does anyone know of a key ring fire steel I can buy somewhere on the web? I've had a look about and not found anything to my liking yet

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Brendan, Do you know of a UK stockist of those permanent matches please ? I like the look of those.
Dare I mention the words "Group Buy" I wonder ? :rolleyes:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've already got a Swedish Scout model but I was really looking for something a bit smaller and more jeans friendly

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Surplus and outdoors have them for £7.99 Here I've been using the same one for about 5 years and although you do not get a massive shower of sparks as with a large fire steel it certainly is enough to get a fire started.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
you can keep it unused for relatively long periods of time and it will still light as the seal is much tighter than a zippo lighter and the fuel does not evaporate away.
I only use mine as a last resort when I have no lighter or matches available as it is a bit more fiddley than lighting with a regular lighter and it is not as wind proof as a zippo. For its size it is a great backup lighter but you do get some strange looks when you pull it out to light a smoke.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i still have a permanent match from waaaaay back in the mid-eighties made by the famous"survival Aids".
the flint is far too worn out for use now, sad thing is i never remember it performing that well, i did everything it mentioned on the packet but alas it never seemed to work well at all.
the idea though, is still a pretty inovative one even today!

prehaps a better one could be designed?

i remember buying a "fake" Zippo lighter instead, which was far better.

Martnz

Jul 31, 2006
Auckland NZ
www.portabyte.com
Hi Guys,

Bought a "Permanent match" in the early 1970's, still have it, still works (obviously haven't used it much!!). Exactly like these, but body is white plastic.

Find the thought of carrying lighter fluid in my pocket a bit scary (have also got it to work with Meths), so lives inside the brass Trangia burner, and lights it just fine!

Regards,
Martnz

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
i still have a permanent match from waaaaay back in the mid-eighties made by the famous"survival Aids".
the flint is far too worn out for use now, sad thing is i never remember it performing that well, i did everything it mentioned on the packet but alas it never seemed to work well at all.
the idea though, is still a pretty inovative one even today!

prehaps a better one could be designed?.

If you use Zippo fuel in them, they are great. Another thing is that, because they are so seldom used the fire steel oxidizes a little so you need a strike or two to clean it up enough to spark well.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
This is the way to go

DSC00002.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE