Kevan Palmer Fermentation Workshop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
In the past I've had a dabble at lacto-fermenting spring greens so I'm really chuffed to have got myself onto a fermentation workshop that bushcraft instructor Kevan Palmer is running in 2019 on Feb 8th and May 31st.

It covers all mannner of things such as keffir, kimchi and yoghurt making to name three with stuff to sample and indeed take home once made. The place that Kevan is holding the course in also do cold smoking days too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is an ancient food, the knowledge is worth ’preserving’.

I find it quite interesting this resurgence of old food techniques.

Happens all over Europe. Everybody is fermenting!
Fermented food is not only tasty, but very healthy. The nutrients are more easily absorbed by us.
Ferment away!

Mang

Settler
That all sounds really, really good :)
I wish it were nearer.
Be interesting to hear how you get on with your makings at home too.

Janne, fermented fish is so my idea of unpalatable. If it were on the course I wouldn't go.
Each to their own.

M
Looking at the various jars is liking listening to paint dry, let alone watching but I did a silly dance that ended up with a little wee when I saw a couple of bubbles in the water kefir :):) I don't feel that fish wouldn't have fitted with the course, or indeed on it as Kevan utilised the time slot perfectly.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In the tasting, which of the cabbages did you prefer?

Mom used to do sauerkraut as it was a ‘forgotten’ foid in Sweden until fairly recently.
She always made a batch of fermented Brussel sprouts before Christmas.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
My dad told me that there was a sauerkraut made with white ( standard) cabbage, with added thin slivers of hot peppers, slivers of normal red bell peppers, grated carrots.

The last time he had it was before WW2.

Yes, most veg can be fermented.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
One of these years I am going to brew up some ramsons.

A couple of years ago I made a garlic chilli and onion sauerkraut that tasted amazing, but was extremely pungent. One day I took some to work for lunch. People some distance away complained to the building management about the smell of gas coming from the air conditioning!

Z

Last edited:
Reactions: Stew

Mang

Settler
That is a dangerous post. I'm already salivating. doesn't look like its far from me, and they seem to have a lot of very relevant courses (for me). Good blog to mate.
Cheers for posting
Cheers bud. The beauty of the place is that it isn't far from the M1. I'm going to be heading back and I am currently looking to see when I can squeeze myself onto the coldsmoking day and you're right, the breadth of courses is great.

Mang

Settler
One of these years I am going to brew up some ramsons.

A couple of years ago I made a garlic chilli and onion sauerkraut that tasted amazing, but was extremely pungent. One day I took some to work for lunch. People some distance away complained to the building management about the smell of gas coming from the air conditioning!

Z
Sounds like my wife mentioning the 'pong' when I 'burped' the bottles I brought home :)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Just come back from the above course. I have to say, it really was everything that had been promised and more. It may have only been 4hrs long, but every minute was crammed with information and my taste buds are now craving more of the samples we tried.
Kevan was very knowledgable and presents it in a way that even a numpty like me can understand.
I'd really recommend this to anyone who's interested in making more from their foraged foods or looking to preserve a garden glut.

Reactions: Macaroon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE