Kettle

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I have bought an old fashioned kettle off the car boot, It looks like it has been used as a tea pot and is full of the tannins etc inside. Does anyone have a tip for removal of the residue?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ordinary salt with water used with one of those green dishwashing scrubbing sponges works too. It cleans the crud off nicely.

By the bye, I thought bleach was okay because it decomposes into somethings safe quite quickly :dunno:.............off to read the back of a bottle of Domestos :rolleyes: :)

cheers,
Toddy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Bleach is fine, I've done it that way plenty of times and have survived so far. Just make sure you rinse it out well before using and if possible boil one full kettle and throw that away before using for drinking. Bleachy tasting tea isn't that nice :yuck:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Bleach is fine, I've done it that way plenty of times and have survived so far. Just make sure you rinse it out well before using and if possible boil one full kettle and throw that away before using for drinking. Bleachy tasting tea isn't that nice :yuck:

Have you had Army tea ? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
never tried it on this, but bicarb and lemon juice mixed to a thick paste and caked on overnight has worked on everything I've ever tried it on. Including massive limescale build up on old taps, so I'd give it a try :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
My normal method for decoking a tea pot,
is to give it a dose of Sterident, just as it says on the side of the pack but use tw or three tablets instead of one.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE