Kestrel hit

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I often see kestrel's near motorways, or on open waste ground etc. But today I saw one much closer up. I heard a loud bang, and looked up to see what at first I thought was a pigeon, but was in fact a momentarily stunned kestrel which had tried to fly through the back window:eek: After about a second it flew away towards trees at the end of the garden. I noticed another small bird which looked absolutely petrified just sat on the deck and took several minutes before it flew off. I wonder if the kestrel was after the little bird, intending to return to get it? I dont know much about these things other than that was the closest view I had of a kestel. Has any body else had a kestrel fly so close to there house? Sorry no pic as it all happened so fast:D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Not a kestrel, but I was watching a group of sparrows outside someones window once, when a sparrow hawk came and took one right in front of me.....

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Sure it was a kestrel and not a sparrowhawk? More likely to be a sparrowhawk chasing a small bird at speed in your garden.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Well now you mention it I dont really know for sure! It was about the size of a pigeon, but its legs and body seemed like a light sandy/buff color with darker grey flecks, and it had a mean looking beak. I'm afraid I have to confess bird identification isnt my strong point:eek: It was certainly spectcular though. How do they normally kill a smaller bird? Do they smash them against something? Is it possible it had the smaller bird in its tallon's, then dropped it when it hit my window?

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Sounds like a sparrowhawk - they use surprise and speed to catch their prey. I have two that attack our bird feeders - they come in at speed using the hedge for camouflage then flip over the top at the last minute and try and grab a fleeing bird.

If the bird doesn't die of fright, the sparrowhawk's talons usually finish it off quickly although I've seen a few birds still alive some time after being caught. I doubt the hawk had the bird in its talons when it struck the window - it's possible they both struck the window or the small bird veered away just in time but the hawk carried on!

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
Our house backs up against some woodland and we have had several sparrowhawk "hits" over the years. One time a sparrowhawk flew into our garage under the up-and-over door and bounced off the back window, stunning itself in the process. I just left it alone and it made its way out in its own time. Another time my wife was watching TV and to her horrow saw a sparrowhawk corner a blackbird and rip its head off on our back lawn. She described it as like watching a bully pick on a smaller kid. Lex Tallionis.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Hi Dunelm :) Your not from stayndrupp are you by any chance? :D Your name just remindd me of the sandstone quarry. Where are you at in durham? I lived at Barney (did a lot of rabbit and pigeon shooting and fishing round there in the 70's), also lived at darlington and newton aycliffe, used to do pistol and rifle shooting at stainton camp, clays at mickelton, earned cartridge money operating the trap house, Dad was club chairman for a while IIRC :D .
I saw sparrowhawks (the ones that hover in mid air near motorway's and railway lines) quite often up there, but never up real close like the latest sighting. I once saw a huge buzzard near lartington, must of been about 4 or 5 foot wingspan.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
Staindrop! I wish! I'm afraid the house prices in Teesdale are too salty for humble colliery folk like me. :) I live in Spennymoor but come from Coxdale.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Hi again dunelm, I worked with several lads from spennymoor when I was building window frames at darlington. That firm (jeldwen) has gone west now. Is "Teesdale" a real hotspot now for property etc where do they work apart from glaxo? :lmao:

Now they are mostly kestrels hovering mid air beside the motorways...

I'll get it right eventually :lmao:

Funnily all the time I lived in rural/semi rural durham I dont recall ever seeing one fox, yet when I lived in London at peckham/new cross/camberwell/old kent road etc I saw them regulalry :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE