Wanted Kephart Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Hi guys, after a kephart style knife. Good condition with quality sheath. Nothing too large. Potential swaps or cash waiting.

Cheers

Dan

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
a-2034$01-adola-2034-zeemansmes-d1.jpg

One like this?

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
They look great!! Ideally what I would like when I can afford it. Maybe the mini though.
I have a Bark River Kephart in CPM-3V. I like it very much. You can find them on a number of websites in the US. There are a variety of handle materials to choose from.

- Woodsorrel
t

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Wow Janne, a Photograph!!!

I look forward to more illuminating posts :)

Nice knife BTW even if it's not a Kephart (though to be honest, with all the disagreement about what a true Kephart should look like, it looks as good as any to me :))..
Well, I pulled it from the company website that sells them.

Under 30UKP there are too.

If the company making them called it a Kephart Knife, they would for sure add at least 100 Pounds to the recommended price.

Google 'sailors knife' on Images, and go from there.

I am quite sure Mr Kephart had one of these classic knives in his hand when he 'designed' the one bearing his name. Or a Green River Knife.
The other, famous, US knife, the Nessmuk, I am sure mr Sears ('Nessmuk") had a classic Butchers knife in his mind when he designed it.

Only so much can be done with a piece of steel, needing a cutting edge...... Several Millenia of designs - nothing new can be designed!

Reactions: Dan1982

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
FYI, it is made by Adola, costs 26 UKP at knifesandtools in UK. Free shipping within UK if you buy for over 50 UKP.

(no affiliation to that company. If I am not allowed to post this info, please remove!)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I think these days theres little debate about what an original Kephart looked like

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/the-original-kephart-knife-examined/

kephart-with-actual-600x291.jpg

Main issue was the original in the Kephart musium was well worn and photos of it missed the subtlty of the handle and the blade grind

Now Mr becker owns one its pretty clear the Becker/Kabar version is as close as most have got to a copy of the original even if the grind isn't quite right

Reactions: Nice65 and Dan1982

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
When I read that article in -17, my first thought why mr Kephart took inspiration from a Sailor's knife, as the tip is not as useful as on more traditional 'user' knifes.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I think these days theres little debate about what an original Kephart looked like

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/the-original-kephart-knife-examined/

View attachment 55235

Main issue was the original in the Kephart musium was well worn and photos of it missed the subtlty of the handle and the blade grind

Now Mr becker owns one its pretty clear the Becker/Kabar version is as close as most have got to a copy of the original even if the grind isn't quite right
The image from his book has a very curved blade.
Condor Nessmuk Knife on Hennie Haynes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE