Kelly Kettle

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Would anyone be interested in reading a review of a Kelly Kettle that I have written?

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Ok here you are then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had seen Kelly Kettle’s around for some time and had wondered how one would perform if I had the opportunity to get my hands on one. They always seemed rather bulky for the “travel light” approach of a bushcrafter. I was sent the 2 ½ pint model which arrived very promptly from the Kelly Kettle Company, based in Ireland.

The Kettle is essentially a double walled chimney with the water chamber on the outside wall. You start a small fire in the base and drop additional fuel down the chimney thereafter. It heats up very quickly and brought a near-full kettle to a rolling boil in four and a half minutes. After this, I stopped adding fuel and came back a couple of minutes later and it was still bubbling away, it really does retain heat very well. It’s very easy to pour by using the handle in conjunction with the cork chain; this will avoid any nasty scalds. It can be quite difficult to see the flame coming through the chimney during daytime so you should take care when adding fuel. It was surprisingly light for it’s size which I was pleased about, because of it’s bulk I would probably only use the larger 2.5pint Kettle if I was going to be travelling with 2 or 3 people where fires would have been impractical and where I would have been “base camping” but a smaller 1 pint version is also available which will give you a good two cups of brew.
kellykettlepan.jpg

Ready For Lighting, Birch bark peelings at the bottom then matchstick thick twigs going up to pencil thick at the top.

Taken from the kellykettle.com website.

“The Kelly Kettle, also known as the Volcano Kettle has been widely used in Ireland after the last 100 years. It was the wonderful Irish Ghillies who made it popular and was their favourite method of ‘brewing up’ for the visiting fishermen as they enjoyed a cup of freshly brewed tea rather than a stewed one from a thermos flask….. It is completely reliable in the worst of weathers and can safely be used on any outdoors site, including woodland as the fire is contained in the kettle’s base.”

I am still not convinced that it won’t topple over in a gust of wind. I haven’t had the opportunity to test it out in heavy rain but I’m sure that if you kept the fuel store dry and fed the Kettle well it would work out fine.

The Kelly Kettle is an efficient water-boiler that is well constructed with a simple principle. But I would be wrong in saying that the only thing it does is boil water. You can also obtain cooking accessories for the 2.5 size which allow it to be used for grilling, and pans for boiling and frying, these fit over the base of the kettle. The Kelly Kettle 2.5 pint 39cm high and 18cm wide and the 1 pint version is 28.5cm high and 12cm wide. The smaller version (not reviewed) should fit quite nicely into a rucksack side pocket, the larger version however is too bulky.

Conclusion:

The Kelly Kettle is a versatile piece of equipment that is durable and well built. Because of the nature of it, you would be able to use it in places where campfires are prohibited. It is perfect for fishing and camping trips with the family but make sure you keep children away when boiling. I also like the fact it has a bit of history to it.

Pros:
Boils quickly
Well made

Cons:
A bit Costly
Bulky

For its ease of use and simple principle I award the Kelly Kettle a well deserved 8/10

The Kelly Kettle was provided by the Kelly Kettle Company at www.kellykettle.com
kellykettle.jpg

100_1706.jpg

Brews up!

And remember:

MAKE SURE THE CORK IS REMOVED BEFORE USE IF YOU DECIDE TO BUY ONE!!

Reactions: cgait

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the only problem i have with the kelly kettle is that the base is prone to deforming due to the heat generated while boiling water. i'd like a more resillient (maybe steel?) base for my kettle. other than that i love it. ideal for brewing up for the campsite.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Our fellow member Schwert did a great review of the Kelly Kettle. You can find it here

"You would be able to use it in places where campfires are prohibited"

Dodgy one..you are still lighting a fire - flying brands can fly out of the chimney and when you remove the kettle from the base embers can blow out of the fire-tray.
I would be very careful using one when there is a risk of starting an uncontrolled open land fire.
Another thing to consider is that the ground that you place the base on gets scorched. I place a sacrificial piece of wood under the base to prevent scorching the ground.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Graham_S - Send the kelly kettle company an email they do listen to customers and value their feedback.

Steven - True about lighting a fire, but I'm sure the Forestry Commision regard them as stoves I did read this somewhere but I will check up on it just incase. And in the case of campsites that don't allow fires I can't see why they won't allow it, the fire is small and in a controlled base unit.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
ScottC said:
Steven - True about lighting a fire, but I'm sure the Forestry Commision regard them as stoves I did read this somewhere but I will check up on it just incase. And in the case of campsites that don't allow fires I can't see why they won't allow it, the fire is small and in a controlled base unit.

When I think of a stove I'm thinking Peak/MSR/etc. The Kelly is a bit different. There are embers to extinguish and dispose of after use, so I could image that the Forestry Commision might not be too keen to have them used on their land, especially during hot dry spells.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
steven andrews said:
When I think of a stove I'm thinking Peak/MSR/etc. The Kelly is a bit different. There are embers to extinguish and dispose of after use, so I could image that the Forestry Commision might not be too keen to have them used on their land, especially during hot dry spells.

Would something like hexi tablets work in a Kelly kettle? If so, how many tablets would you guess you would need to boil a kettle full?

anthonyyy said:
Would something like hexi tablets work in a Kelly kettle? If so, how many tablets would you guess you would need to boil a kettle full?

I have tried hexi in my one pint and they did not do much. what does work well is one morrisons cheepest fire lighters, this boils it up nicely and does not leave anything other than a bit of burnt fluff. the more expensive fire lighters are just too hot and stink more. i have also filled the pan with sand and have used a small amount of petrol. an old chap i used to work with was in north africa in the war and he always used to boil water like this.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Nice one ScottC. I have both the 1 pint and 2.5 pint versions now.

I take my 1 pint walking but have kept the 2.5 in my trunk kit. It is a bit bulky but for a party of 3 or so it would be great.

When the forests I visit have a burn ban or high level fire risk I do not use my Kelly. I showed mine to a ranger and he said it may be an acceptable "stove" for use in high fire areas, but at the same time cautioned that any fires that resulted from its use by me would be my responsibility...so a thermos or a gas stove is my choice during the hot summer months.

I think these devices are simply a brilliant piece of kit.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Nice lil review scott.

I've been using the 1pint on nearly a daily basis for brewing up in class. The only problem I have is the deformed firebowl which has been re-hit into shape so many times now that its cracked :( .... anyone know if you can get the bowls seperatly..... maybe an email to the company is in order.

:)
Ed

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I had always thought of them as too bulky for a water boiler as was pointed out in the review, but I haven't taken much notice of the accessory kit to make it into a solid fuel cooker as well. How do the accessories perform? Being aluminium, I'm guessing that the might be a devil to clean - can anyone dispell my fears as I'm teetering on the edge of placing an order for a 2.5 with acc. kit.

ATB

Ogri the trog

cgait

Jan 23, 2005
Cwmaman, South Wales
Very nicely reviewed. I've been fancying a kelly kettle for a while now. Ed said they were great. And they do work in class :) we've all had many a tea from his.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Thanks Schwert I agree that it shouldn't be used in hot summer months. Ed email the company with your concerns, they do value customers feedback.

Ogri, I don't have the accessories but to be honest I don't think they would be that great but you could always buy your own pans seperately just make sure they are small enough to allow a small gap between the firepan and the cooking pot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE