Kelly Kettle Safety

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
Just a note on kelly kettle safety.
those of use who own kelly kettles should know the safety aspects of not having the cork in too tight as pressure is built up in the kettle.
on the west wales meet we were discussing this as we were setting up the kettle for a brew, I normally set the cork in sideways but this time for some reason I put the cork in as if to seal the spout, there was no pressure on the cork but it did seal on the spout and when I approached the kettle the cork popped and spewed boiling water onto my leg.
on this occasion I was lucky as I was wearing loose fatigues and tony and stewert were there to advise.
All I suffered was a painfull few hours while as the cold water took the heat away and a damaged pride as i danced around the fire trousers around my ankles splashing cold water on my scalded leg.
BE WARNED it could have been worse.

IAN

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Glad you're ok and no real damage done. I only ever use the cork to seal the kettle against debris when not in use/in transit as the boil time is rapid...I just drape the chain over the handle to keep it out of the dirt. I think the suppliers also advise against use of the cork when boiling. I'm just gald you're OK....it could have been really nasty....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
This happened to me too........I like to leave the cork in as much as poss so I don't get bits in it (yes I know I'm fussy). Anyway I only leave the cork in loose, but as the steam started to come out, it made the cork expand and seal itself, resulting in me burning my hand when I realised and pulled it off. It could of been worse. Now its bits in my tea for me................Jon

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
I've had a 1 pint kettle for nearly 2 years now and use it often and only ever balance the cork as you say to stop debris, but it just goes to show what can happen if you take for granted what your doing even for a moment

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Same as Falcon the cork is only used for transit to keep out muck and when its been filled to stop spillage in transit NEVER boil with the cork anywhere near the spout. Glad you're ok and pass on this so others not to repeat this with far worse injuries.
All the best

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
It tells you in the Instructions not to leave the Cork in place when using the kettle did you read the instructions ??. :Thinkingo

It also mentions it on their website.

> > http://www.kellykettle.com/use.aspx

Maybe that is another reason why it is called a Volcano Kettle ?? :thinkerg:

If it happens again take it off the heat first and make sure you are behind it when you pull the Cork out.

MickT

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
bothyman said:
It tells you in the Instructions not to leave the Cork in place when using the kettle did you read the instructions ??. :Thinkingo

It also mentions it on their website.

> > http://www.kellykettle.com/use.aspx

Maybe that is another reason why it is called a Volcano Kettle ?? :thinkerg:

If it happens again take it off the heat first and make sure you are behind it when you pull the Cork out.

MickT

Like I said I only ever balance the cork sideways on the edge as recommended by the kelly kettle company and have always Known of the dangers of inserting the cork it was just on this occasion my mind was elsewhere and not on the job in hand.

The point I'm trying to make is this, It matters not how experienced you are or how many times you do something correctly and safely if you lose concentration on what your doing at some point you'll meet with an accicent. :rolleyes:

The point I'm trying to make is

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I followed the instructions and have the cork out... never had a problem with it exploding or any debris getting in... they do instructions for a reason chaps :D

Very glad to hear you're not too badly hurt though, hope the scald heals fast :)

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
A few years ago the Nortehrn Ireland Field Target Team arrived at the Weston Park Game Fair to compete in the European Field Target Championships.
Everyone was in great spirits and one guy produced a kelly kelly and set about brewing up........
Everything went down hill from here.
He didn't remove the cork and his young son was standing over the kettle when it went off.
The young lad had 2 days in hospital and spent most of the following year having skin grafts and treatment for his injuries.
Thankfully he's now made a good recovery and after a few years his scars are all but gone.
I don't mean to scare anybody and i have just ordered one myself.
These things are dangerous if not used properly but no more dangerous than the sharp knives or Trangia stoves that we all own.
Read the instructions.

rb

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
You should never boil with the cork in even if just loosely. Please please make sure that you check the cork is out before you start boiling, sometimes you might forget if you placed in it while carrying it from your water source. I did this once which resulted in the most intense pain I have ever felt in my life when the kettle exploded boiling water directly at me. I recieved 2nd degree/partial thickness burns to my entire right arm and abdomen. I was visiting the hospital daily for the following three weeks. It was a terrible experience and the injuries would have been a lot worse if I hadn't managed to get myself under a cold shower until an ambulance arrived, I still get nervous whenever I am around even a kitchen kettle. This was back in late August and I wont be able to expose my arm to the sun for at least another 10 months. I missed the best part of the year for bushcrafting, autumn - which really annoyed me. So please please please remember to take the cork out and if anything should happen get under a cold shower or some sort of running water as soon as possible for atleast 15 minutes!

I have used the kettle on several occasions since and have had no problems, I know for certain that I'm never going to make the same mistake again. The kettles are brilliant pieces of equipment and are really effective boilers, the accident was my own fault and not the Kettle's. They are dangerous just like any of the equipement we use and should be handled with care and the instructions read, re read and read again.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Ok this not much to do with cork but mine will two things at once. Now don't look down chimney to see how fire is going my never see agian

jiff2.jpg

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Well that is suppose to be a power table get three power tools on it a triangle that goes a round use the on you need the work bench is in back of me i think its full of stoves so most of the work shop now full of stove about 70 or 80 all types camping stoves

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
elma said:
I've had a 1 pint kettle for nearly 2 years now and use it often and only ever balance the cork as you say to stop debris

As a side note, a tea-strainer inverted over the spout will stop (big) debris ingress whilst allowing steam to escape. Comes in handy when the water's boiled, too.

As others have said, RTFM and be careful out there, scalds are amongst the nastiest injuries.

Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE