Kelly Kettle lighting - made easy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I put quite a bit of hexy through my KK, but hexy can be a major pain to light. However, I've found a system that's dead easy to use and that works!
  • Take a hexy block (doesn't have to be - it can be fatwood or something else if you want)
    On top, add a bit of cotton wool (impregnated with vaseline if you want - optional)
    A a small sprinkling of potassium permanganate (optional but no doubt helps!)
    Hit it with sparks from a ferro rod!
Easy!
OK, under ideal conditions this is over the top, but it works, and works well! :lol:

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Adi, where do you get your issue / quality hexy from? Only stuff I can find regularly are tiny disks that are damn near impossible to light and burn for about 2 mins less than it takes to boil a small pan of water...

Ta for any info
Nick

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
From here ... http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/13.shtml

£1 per pack. Genuine stuff!

The tiny disks are rubbish, not to mention expensive!!!!
NickBristol said:
Adi, where do you get your issue / quality hexy from? Only stuff I can find regularly are tiny disks that are damn near impossible to light and burn for about 2 mins less than it takes to boil a small pan of water...

Ta for any info
Nick

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
ta v much for the info - I'll order a load from strikeforcesupplies.

Don't use it often and hardly at all in the field but it is good for making a quick coffee if I'm out in the car and see a nice place to stop.

I liked your tip for lighting them Adi - I've been wrapping the disks in cotton wool for a few years but never thought to use potassium permanganate on it too.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I tried pot per yesterday to light a fire, sprinkling it over the tinder. It didn't seem make any difference at all. :-? I even tried to light it directly with a lighter but all it did was sizzle. :cry:
Is there a particular technique to use this stuff ?

It did make a pretty colour when I was damping down the fire though :lol:

Cheers

Mark

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
There are certain grades of PP that wont light easily the most difficult to light is 'Flow grade'

you cant go wrong with Pharmaceutical grade though :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Good point Stuart - in fact, the finer, the better!
Remember too Mark that PP isn't itself flammable, it's an oxidizing agent. What this means is that it provides additional oxygen to the fire, so that bits of fuel that aren't getting much oxygen from the air can still burn. So the finer it is and the better mixed it is with the fuel or tinder, the better burn you'll get!
Another thing is is that you don't need too much of it. Very low ratios of PP to tinder work best.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Ah I see, I was doing it all wrong, the stuff I have is a fine powder but I was pouring it all over the place expecting the fire to burst into life and take my eyebrows with it :oops:

I'll try again now I know...

Mark

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Crush some hexy and mix it with some PP and you might just lose them eyebrows if you get too close!
:bu:
Buckshot said:
Ah I see, I was doing it all wrong, the stuff I have is a fine powder but I was pouring it all over the place expecting the fire to burst into life and take my eyebrows with it :oops:

I'll try again now I know...

Mark

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Also known as:
Chameleon mineral
CI 77755
Condy's crystals
Permanganate of potash
Cairox
:-D
ditchfield said:
Just to let you know, the chemical name for PP is now Potassium Manganate (VII) :)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
An importat safety tip with PP though is not to carry it mixed with any fuel ... carrying even a film canister filled with cotton wool with PP mixed in could be hazardous to your health! :bu:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
dont want to state the obvious but hexi lights easier if you crumble it or some such.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Just remembered we've got tubs of PP at work, I'm sure they won't mind a lil bit vanishing :shock: Gonna have to give that ago. Really have to get out in the woods this weekend, working a 56 hour week at the moment, no time to do anything else, getting Bush Withdrawal at the moment (not to mention flack from the other half... :AR15firin )

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Dunno if it's an age thing, but i find that hexy can vary wildly in how easy it lights. Sometimes it goes easily and other times it's tricky. I also find that the easier it crumbles, the harder it is and i wonder if it absorbes water in some way or degrades over time.

I guess with a replacement to it on the way, it's all a moot point!

Gary said:
dont want to state the obvious but hexi lights easier if you crumble it or some such.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Adi old hexi crumbles because it dries out alittle - hence why its kept in waxed boxes etc (army issue stuff)

If your using your fire steel crumbling new stuff should help.

Personally though I hate the stuf - I hate the tar it leaves on your cookware etc - have you tried green heat or wet fire tinder? These are excellent and weight alot less.

Two green heat sachets should bol a kelly easily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE