Kelly kettle burner

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Anyone use a burner inside the larger kelly kettle?

If so what? or have you made one?

Cheers

I tried to use an alcohol stove-the tin with the alcohol jelly in it where the pot stand sits on top of the tin. I had no success whatsoever attemting to boil water in the keely kettle while using the burner as a heat source. I'm sure it could have worked if I had waited long enough but it would have been a very long wait indeed.

I'm not sure an ordinary alcohol jet burner would work either, hopefully someone could try it and tell us! My feelings are that it probably won't as the flames would nto be long enough, but who knows?

WS

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Trangia and swedish army burners dont work, I got the water hot but not to boil.. will have to put my thinking cap on!

I just want something to sit in the bottom of the wood burning section to use when wood is not available.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll give the Tatonka a bash tomorrow and let you know if that's up to it, I have a feeling it won't get it boiling though.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Similar results for me too tonight

I tried with the smallest kelly which did get hot but didn't exactly boil

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Hi Kelly owners
I tried a pop can stove in mine this morning
I have a 1 pint kelly
I made a small stove burner from a red bull size can
The kettle was raised up about off the base 15 mill on a circle of wire with 5ml holes , the USA call it hardware cloth, Tinny uses it for his pot stands
I used it to allow more air in for the burner
I filled 30 ml of meths and used 5 ml in the base as a pre heat source
The burner ran for 13 min and ran out, the water temperature reached 65c 150f
I added another 20ml of meths and 5 ml pre heat again and relaced the kettle
The water reached 90c 205 f but I forgot to record the time
I tipped 5-10 mls of meths into the base and lit it and managed to get 95f
Hot enough for drinking chocolate/coffee or pot noodles and washing
Not hot enough for tea or sterilizing water
If I had refilled to another 30ml would it have worked ?
Hope to try again soon
Mick

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I would not have thought using a burner in a Kelly would work well at all.....your burner will be designed to heat above it, which placed inside the Kelly would just vent straight out the top of the kettle.......you'd need to get the heat directly against the inside of the kettle...

I suppose placing the burner off centre, may work.....but be carefull you don't ruin the kettle or the burner!

Smoggy.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
......Any one made or tried an Angel Burner in their Kelly?......

angel-smiley-5110.gif
sign0032.gif

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cat food tray stove works; heck of a mess though and it burns long after the kettle is boiling it's guts out.

cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've done it with a bean can stove (small bean can filled with rolled corrugated cardboard and wax) but frankly, if you're going where you're not going to have a supply of wood, I'd not even consider taking the kelly kettle.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I tried it on a gas stove ring.It took longer than using wood or newspaper.Perhaps the designers got it right,it's a wood burner.

Dec 16, 2007
I tried with the burner out of the SA Trangia as they are bigger than a civvy one and again like everyone else it just got it warm enough for a cuppa but not boiling to sterilise water. this was in a 1pt KK.

Has anyone tried defusing the flame on the burner? either intercepting the flames through a wire gauze suspended above the burner flame or a conical piece that the flame needs to flow around and licks the sides of the kettle. My Dad uses some gauze on top of their gas cooker in the winter, not only does it disperse the flame but by heating it it turns in to radiant heat as the gauze glows; heating room level and not just the ceiling!... might work... might not! good luck!

Leo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE