Keeping green timber green?

Aug 31, 2010
Glasgow
Hi there,

As a landscaper I get lumps of green timber on occasion but to much to carve all in one go. I like to carve green timber but have lost a couple of projects as the wood has dried out and become very hard to work with. Are there any ways to slow the drying process down. I have tried wrapping it in cling film but it goes brown and mouldy. What would happen if I left outside in a barrel of water? Would this work for a while?

Any ideas gratefully received

Bo

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hmm all i can offer is that i leave working projects out side but under cover, as out of the rain.and never bring them in the house when the heating is on.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
keep it outside, not too dry and not too wet or it will dry/split or go mouldy respectively.
The most important thing is don't cut it into little bits. Cut pieces as big as you can handle then when you come to want a bit of fresh to use you can cut 6 or 9" off the end for firewood and the next bit along should still be fairly fresh. Depending on species and size it will keep workable 3-6 months.

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
You could also try chucking the lumps of wood in a strong solution of washing up liquid and water and leaving for a few days. Worked for me with my wood turning. I used to rough the bowls out and then leave them in the solution for a few days and then just let them dry out. No cracking, and stayed as easy to turn as the green wood. See no difference for carving.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE