Keeping Food Cool

twr198

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2007
England
I was thinking about trying to keep food cool in the woods and outer world today and the first thing i thought of was freeze blocks :(

This did not amuse me or bushcraft ways. the main problem is you woint have a freezer to recherge them in woods and even if you did would you plug it into a tree??

any thoughts on food colling lads?

thanks

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
When staying in South Wales last summer I got round this problem three different ways, in a number locations. All included using a waterproof bag that I previously bought for kayaking etc.

1. At the first location there was a lovely natural spring which I bagged my food & Magners and sunk, I covered it somewhat, producing shade and not causing to much of an isaw. The easiest solution really, but not always avaliable.

2. The second location was at the bottom of a valley, I was staying nearby a large river, there was a couple of very small streams (only about a foot or two wide) leading down to the main river, I dug a pit in one of the small streams, big enough to acommidate my waterproof-bag, I submerged the bag and put a large flat stone ontop to hold the boyant bag under the ground and water. The stream filled the hole with water and flowed over it as normal, I figured it would keep the bag in shade, below the ground would be nice and cool and the water going over the top would have a nice continuous cooling effect. Probably my best method out of the three.

3. At the summer bushmoot I wasn't camping beside a river or a stream, I found a shady spot that happened to be nice and sandy, nice for digging, dug a hole to acommidate my waterproof-bag, plonked it in and fully covered it backup with sand. Being sealed I didnt have to worry about the contents getting dirty.

I would love to hear other peoples solutions.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
what is it you are trying to keep cool? freezing stuff before hand then wrapping it in a sleeping bag will keep it that way for ages. similar you turn meat or tins into icepacks to keep stuff fresher.

we kept three days worth of fresh meat that way by adding bags of frozen rabbits and fish to the mix :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Assuming you mean during the weather that we've had over the past few days,
apart from those methods already mentioned, the only other way I know, is by evaporation.
Cover your food to keep it dry, then drape a wet towel/sheet etc over it and keep that cover damp. The next requirement is for a little breeze to aid the process - it won't chill your food for long term storage, but it might help to extend its useale life by a day or two.

ATB

Ogri the trog

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
As mentioned elsewhere on the thread, we have always kept milk and other items cool by sitting them in a bowl of shallow water, with a flannel laid over the top to wick up the water as it evaporated from the flannel.

Other food is put into a appropriate sized plastic box and sat under the flannel with the milk.

I've never known the milk to go off, even in the hottest of weather.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE