'Keepers friend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
A while ago I was reading in one of the shooting mags about a multipurpose tool that used to be carried by Gamekeepers - when they wore smocks tied with string, didn't carry a gun and didn't have quads to ride around on.

Called 'Keepers friend it was a short spade with a T handle, howevere the handle was made into a hammer on one side and a spike on the other. One edge of the spade was also sharpened to give a basic cutting tool. the original multitool???
the idea being that this one tool could be used for all sorts of things the keeper of the day was likely to do, digging stones and clearing roots using the pick, banging in trap pegs, cutting roots etc and, of course, digging holes.

Having looked around for something similar today and finding nothing what so ever I decided to make one. I bought an entrenching tool, the 58 pattern one (I think) and a geologists hammer (thinking it already had the shape I wanted) and joined the two together.

The results are below

Mounted on the inside of the rear Landy door using a couple of brackets designed for holding canoe paddles donated by Andyre (thanks mate) and jobs a goodun

Can't wait to try it out now...
DSC00242.jpg

DSC00241.jpg

Cheers

Mark

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Looks handy!

How easy is the hammer to wield ?
Also those clips looks awesomely useful! Do you have a source for them?

Thanks
Drew

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Looks handy!

How easy is the hammer to wield ?
Also those clips looks awesomely useful! Do you have a source for them?

Thanks
Drew

You have to be careful of the spade but it's not a problem as long as you remember there's a spade attached to the end!
It's also much easier to than using a lump of wood as a thumper because you forgot the hammer!
Clips - I have no idea I'm afriad, as I said I was given them.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE