Katadyn Pocket Filter

O

oaksy

I would just like to say Hello to you all...Im new to this forum...

What i would like to ask you guys, im thinking about getting a Katadyn Pocket Filter for long term use... Are they the best thing to get. I know they arnt cheap, but i dont mind spending the money if it is worth it....

Also i have never used a Ceramic Cartridge Filter...Whats your thoughts on these???

Thanks guys

Gailainne

Life Member
I think the first thing to ask is, where are you going to use it ? are you going to Africa, South America etc long term ? or wild camping here in the UK, sort that out, and then do a search on water filtration here, and on british blades and you will find more than enough information to answer your question.

Stephen

O

oaksy

it will be used in Africa and China...More in china..
Thanks

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Did you go to the water lecture at the moot?

Bottom line most filters are next to useless, and some when tested would appear downright dangerous.

I'm no expert, but the experts recommend boiling all water, and if you can’t boil use Iodine (unless you have thyroid problems or are pregnant)

The best water purification is currently considered a product called 'Polar Pure'.If I were you I'd not bother with a filter at all!!!!!!!!

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Oaksy
Consider this Pocket Micro Filter
The silver impregnated ceramic element is effective against bacteria and protozoa. The Katadyn Pocket is the only water filter with a 20 year warranty.
Ceramic filters have a micro porous structure with impregnated silver which delays the growth of bacteria. The pore-size of Katadyn ceramic filters is 0.2 micron (0.0002 mm). Bacteria range in size from 0.2 to 5 micron and like protozoa (1 – 15 micron), are efficiently filtered out. Ceramic filters can be mechanically regenerated and the filter capacity is measurable.

I use a nylon 'pop sock' over the floating end to catch the bulk of bigger bits of debris
There are three steps to take to make water safe.
1- mechanical filtration
2- boiling
3- chemical -belt and braces by adding Micropure.

Once pumped through - it is good practice to then boil the water
Once cooled, add Micropure which is Sodium Silver Chloride complex with silver ions. This conserves water for up to 6 months and deactivates bacteria after 2 hours of contact. It is neutral in taste and smell. I used it in Africa- best filter around IMHO for its size. Check with your doctor before the use of this chemical.
I have no idea where Bimble got his mis-information from that most water filter are useless or downright dangerous or what was said at the Moot- but do your own research... sorry Bimble- no offense-

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Oaksy
Consider this Pocket Micro Filter
The silver impregnated ceramic element is effective against bacteria and protozoa. The Katadyn Pocket is the only water filter with a 20 year warranty.
Ceramic filters have a micro porous structure with impregnated silver which delays the growth of bacteria. The pore-size of Katadyn ceramic filters is 0.2 micron (0.0002 mm). Bacteria range in size from 0.2 to 5 micron and like protozoa (1 – 15 micron), are efficiently filtered out. Ceramic filters can be mechanically regenerated and the filter capacity is measurable.

I use a nylon 'pop sock' over the floating end to catch the bulk of bigger bits of debris
There are three steps to take to make water safe.
1- mechanical filtration
2- boiling
3- chemical -belt and braces by adding Micropure.

Once pumped through - it is good practice to then boil the water
Once cooled, add Micropure which is Sodium Silver Chloride complex with silver ions. This conserves water for up to 6 months and deactivates bacteria after 2 hours of contact. It is neutral in taste and smell. I used it in Africa- best filter around IMHO for its size. Check with your doctor before the use of this chemical.
I have no idea where Bimble got his mis-information from that most water filter are useless or downright dangerous or what was said at the Moot- but do your own research... sorry Bimble- no offense-

That's a lot of work that you do Bert333. I think each step is a safe way in itself.

Ok, it depends on how dirty the water is maybe. But there is definately one step you can skip in the future man :). Even with the most dirty water.

btw. Katadyn is very good for water filters

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
Have you considered one of these:
http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/completekit.html

I have been using one for a while with great results, not dead yet.
They are a relatively new piece of kit but have had some very strong reviews.

There is a good review on this link, including some good podcasts for general outdoors stuff.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product353.asp

I am thinking of offering up a group buy as I reckon I could get a few for about £20 plus postage from a contact in an NGO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE