Karrimor Sabre 45 Suggested Enhancements

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Hi all,

I am relatively new to the whole outdoor living thing and decided to get a Sabre 45 bergen as it seemed to tick as many of the boxes as possible; something I am not alone in owning! The only drawback so far is that it seems a little small for the amount of cooking pots, axes, knives, hammock, food etc etc which I am currently trying out - I already attach the PLCE side pockets.

I was wondering if there were any components to the PLCE system which I could attach to the bergen to enhance the capacity - I was specifically drawn towards first aid kit attachments, as this allows everyone quick and easy access to my FAK. Any suggestions as to ones I can get which are olive green (I personally hate DPM.) After a quick browse, I managed to locate:

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/arktis+rear+pouch+set+1736/pid/52787
http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/Arktis/Arktis_1727_Chest-Thigh_Appointments_Pad/820/801.html
http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/Arktis/Arktis_Twin_Side_Pouches/820/784.html

These all look good, but are they compatible - anyone else tried any alternatives?

As an aside, the Sabre 45 is an awesome rucksack, and having dragged it around eastern Europe, I can vouch for its rugged construction, not to mention that it seems to be surprisingly waterproof.

Many thanks!!!

Agile

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You might find this thread of interest - it shows how I modified my sabre 45 to take the PLCE webbing belt with some additional pouches. I've started using the main webbing yoke with it as well - it gives you much better adjustment and weight distiburtion.

One thing I'd do differently - attach the belt loops the other way around, so the clips are on the outside.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Thanks for the swift reply - in your article you mention you hadn't field tested it - any luck with that, or is that still on your "to do" list?

I like the comment about the camo - it's so true, hence the need for Olive Green!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I've used it a fair bit now... Like I say, I've started using it with the PLCE yoke as well, but that's mainly so that I can use the belt and pouches separately - although it does make the whole thing more comfortable. It totally does the job, and I've found the PLCE rig very handy too.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Agile,
If you are using the 45, with side pockets, and you still haven't enough room, can I suggest you are carrying too much! Try the RM 'Know more carry less' approach or perhaps have a radical think about what you REALLY need to take when you go out. I know it is very tempting to carry everything, including the kitchen sink, just in case you need it, I often find myself doing it. :)

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
fred gordon said:
Agile,
If you are using the 45, with side pockets, and you still haven't enough room, can I suggest you are carrying too much! Try the RM 'Know more carry less' approach or perhaps have a radical think about what you REALLY need to take when you go out. I know it is very tempting to carry everything, including the kitchen sink, just in case you need it, I often find myself doing it. :)

I totally agree with what you are saying there, however as I am still at the "gear testing" stage, I tend to take about two sets of everything - this means I am currently lugging around two mess tins and the billie cans and the non-stick mug for the top of the nato bottle, a tarp, poncho and ground mat and then hennsley hammock - i.e. a good two, perhaps even three sets of gear, but only because I am trying stuff out. Then we go onto two sets of cutlery (normal set and a titanium set) two "survival" knives, a saw and an axe for good measure, and two water carriers (total 5 litres) and then the purification stuff as well. In fact, it is a small miracle I can fit this all in the one container, although I don't tend to take many changes of clothes!!

Once I finally get sorted on what I like and at what time of year, I will reduce down to a single set, not to mention by then my fitness will be through the roof!!

Thanks for the advice though, it's solid stuff which I totally agree with.

Agile

P.S. The additional sets will be used to get friends interested too :)

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi Agile,
I wasn't meaning to be critical and I know what you mean about experimenting. Let me say that I am guilty of the 'just in case' addition of extra bits and pieces. I rarely use some of the stuff I take, I always promise myself I will be more ruthless next time, but still I sem to have too much with me. :lmao:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Whilst i hate thread necromancy, i hate repeating a post so i figured i'd post in here.

I'm looking at getting a Sabre 45 and doing a few mods to put, nothing drastic, just simple and functional:

1. Replace the vertical hoops on the front of the pack with a form of MOLLE webbing to make the space more functional (similar to the Predator)
2. Place YKK zips either side of this webbing (between the buckles) to allow for the attachment of a 3rd PLCE pouch (similar to the Berghaus Vulcan)
3. Removing the top shock-cord and either replacing with MOLLE or YKK zips

So my questions are simple:
1. Is there anywhere i can get a premade MOLLE panel or am i going to have to make my own with webbing?
2. Where can i get replacement YKK zips that will fit the Sabre (I'm thinking PRI, unless anyone knows any different?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE