Jute twine recommend please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Hi looking for some decent jute twine 2 or 3 mm thick.if some could point me in the right direction please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use the basic harier stuff. Its strong enough for shelter building, makes great tinder and bio degrades. IMO its more generally useful than paracord

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
+1 BR, same type I use and/or recommend. I use a serrated knife to shred it further and create a nest for tinder, but good for cordage, pot scrubbers etc....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The garden stuff works fine for most things, but if you're netmaking from it the more firmly spun variety does make a positive difference, especially if you're making smaller gauge stuff and not sweet pea netting. It's not hemp twine, but it's very good never the less.

M

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Is it not hemp for purse nets? I have jute and also hemp and polished hemp. Your right Mary, much better quality net with hemp.

OP How much are you looking for and any particular colour?

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Is it not hemp for purse nets? I have jute and also hemp and polished hemp. Your right Mary, much better quality net with hemp.

OP How much are you looking for and any particular colour?

Yes it's for netting n maybe I'll drop a few Hank's into my camping kit too play with.not sore what's on a roll but I'd say a fair size n definitely the natural brown colour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh for netti ng I would avoid the cheap jute. Tbh synthetics have their place in nets that get wet

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have the remains somewhere of 1,000' of 1/2" manilla that got wet for a while. It acquired the breaking strain of liquorice :(

For things like ferreting nets that are repeatedly pegged in wet grass or long nets (I love long netting....theres a real old use for mahoosive nets), something that shrugs off damp has its place for sure. Not nice to the hand, but practical.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know what rope doesn't mind the wet ? and it survives sodden wet for thousands of years ? Willow bast.

Making net from man made cordage is a pain at times though. It doesn't handle quite the same and it often doesn't chug into the knot quite as snuggly.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's it :) unless you have a willow coppice to hand, and a fair bit of time though….let's just say that rope making machines were an inspired invention :)

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE