Just like a little help...

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hi, I'm sure after a lot of huffing and puffing I could figure this out but it will probably just be easier to ask!

I have two bivvi poles that have spikes on the top that fit nicely through the eyelets on my 58 patt poncho and I'd like to use this set up plus a bivvi bag for trips when there won't be any trees. My question is just is there an easy way to set this up a-frame style single handedly?

I tried to put it up in the garden and had four corners of the poncho with guy lines on and then two lines at each end looped over the spikes going to the ground. The only way I could get this thing up was to ask SWMBO to hold one of the poles in place while I peg out the other end. How can I do this single-handed?

Hope this made sense and you can help :eek:

Thanks,
Asa.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Two ways, place a guy line over one peg, then do the same at the other end. Insert poles and get the guys tight. It will wobble a bit but should stay up. Peg out the sides.

Alternatively, peg out the sides leaving enough room for you to get in and the poles up. Peg out the guys.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Practice, Practice, Practice....

I take it you mean like this...

poncho.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Quick question- are those just ski poles? if not, ski poles would work for the same purpose right?

If you mean Leki-type poles then yes. They are adjustable too so you can adjust the pitch of the roof and the floor space. By putting the handle on the floor and the spike up through the grommet, you get a pole that will not disappear into the ground and can easily be adjusted from within the shelter if required. Keep an eye out in Lidl as they often do decent poles for quite cheap, my girls have some and they are still going strong a year later, which is a testament to their robustness IMO!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
bit of a problem just guying out then putting the poles in though, the guys would have to be perfect as the bivvi poles I have aren't telescopic they are fixed, I guess after a lot of adjusting the guy lines I could do it though.

Thanks,
Asa.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Right, well if they are fixed length, then I'd do what I suggested at the start: peg one guy line down, put a pole in and whilst maintaining the tension move to the other side and fit the second pole in then peg the second guy down. The peg out the sides. Even if the basha flops over, you know you've set it right and you can peg one side down, reinstate the poles and then peg the second side down.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Success! It took me a little bit of re-pegging and re-adjusting of the guy lines but I did it!

2ahscya.jpg

2i8i1c9.jpg

Those poles are in three sections and in those pictures it is using all three but for sleeping under I'd use two which comes to 97cm high.

Thanks for the help :D

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well I've lowered it and it looks pretty comfy, tonight is the night I shall try out my new bivvi bag too. That is, if the people up at the campsite quiten down enough for me to sleep!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE