Just hit a Whitetail doe with the car.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
It ran off on three legs. I'll give it a few hours to lay down and die or at least stiffen up, then go looking. It didn't do much damage to the car, so I'm hopeful that it's not seriously injured. If it is, I hope I can find it so it won't go to waste.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
What's the rules in your area, with regards to dispatching/killing injured deer? Round here it's 'anything goes' if it's suffering badly.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I agree with Matt -- make sure to check your laws.

In most places that I'm aware of in the states, it's usually illegal to collect a kill by a car. The laws were put in place to prevent people taking deer out of season, or taking more deer than their tags would allow, etc. by claiming a car hit and mercy killing.

You can kill the deer if it's injured, you just can't harvest anything from it. My guess is New Hampshire law is the same as the other dozen or so states I'm aware of. But if you've got a valid tag, then you can give that up to harvest although fatal car hits usually spoil a lot of meat.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
Don't leave it a few hours. Get in there as soon as. You don't want to leave it a few hours to bloat and have the meat tainted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE