Just had a Tornado form outside my house

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
As title, it never touched down (i don't think) but wasn't far off. Great to see it come straight down out of the clouds. It was there a few minutes and dissapeared. Never seen one before. :)

P1010903.jpg

P1010904.jpg

Last edited:

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
When i saw the title i first thought you were a us member....but west yorks is scary.I too haven't seen one before so thanks for sharing the piccy.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We get them here quite a lot - at least storm cells, dust devils etc.

That one is better than most of the ones we get here though - they rarely touch down here.

Great piccs!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
cool photo mark!!!

I saw one over the ship canal area between manchester and liverpool years ago, it only lasted a few minutes. I have seen them out to sea but they never last long.

I got some photos of some really awsome mama cloud last week, proper creepy.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Aren't we supposed to have more of them than any other place on earth but they are just incredibly weak? as in it might make the dust swirl about but nothing else kinda small.

But yea that is a really nice pick, I watched a documentary about storm chases and I wouldn't want one near me, at any strenght.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Aren't we supposed to have more of them than any other place on earth but they are just incredibly weak? as in it might make the dust swirl about but nothing else kinda small...

I'm not sure what the cut-off is but they have to reach a certain strength before they're actually considered a tornado. Less is just a 'dust devil," "whirlwind," etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if you get quite a lot; you're on the verge where two diferent weather systems collide (the Gulf Stream coming north into an Arctic system coming South)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Aren't we supposed to have more of them than any other place on earth but they are just incredibly weak? as in it might make the dust swirl about but nothing else kinda small.

But yea that is a really nice pick, I watched a documentary about storm chases and I wouldn't want one near me, at any strenght.

I heard on the radio the just the other day, that per area of land mass, the UK has more Tornados than any other country on Earth, we had one not that long ago just off the coast, so that would make it a water spout, i even got to speak with Paul Ross (Jonathan's brother) about it:)

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
I have seen a couple of these before, and a few water spouts over the sea. I think this is the best one I've spotted though.. glad I told Mark to get the camera as it was only there a few minutes and neither he or his son had seen one before :) You could actually see it getting bigger at first and then going back up into the clouds.. very cool to watch although I was slightly disappointed that we seemed to miss all the lightning that everyone else was talking about.. nothing better than sitting by your bedroom window all snuggled up in a blanket watching lightning come down :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE