Just bought an alice pack

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I like stuff thats really well made. This seems to be a classic. Apologies for the massive photos!

So I Got an LC2 frame, with hip belt and H straps. HERE. £22.95. Its mint. Woodland camo straps.

56F25773C486BE89A98AF69D9E2DF9EF.jpg

A shelf HERE, which fits onto the bottom, or halfway up the back, [for radio operators i think] With the two straps, for strapping gear on. £23 with straps.
$_57.JPG

And finally, HERE a medium alice pack, 475 denier fabric, grade 1 in woodland camo.
BRUS010-AV-WC-500x500.jpg
40 litres.

Under £70. Bit on the expensive side.

Does anyone have one o these, used one, what do you think of them? Cheers.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I had one, dint like it one bit tbh
Generally uncomfortable, bouncy, and noisy in use.....the rivets on frame had to be replaced, Over all it was an odd size and i didn't like the lid either with its daft pocket

I did like the straps on the lid and side pockets though

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Mmmm, good constructive criticism there. Thats what I want to hear. :)

Its me poor mans norrona recon pack.

I lik the idea of being able to strap a deer to it, or geese, or take off the pack and add firewood, or jerry cans, or radios, or boxes of equipment, or big tools, and stuff like that. [Which may never happen] But if you were in the situation, it'd be far better than a modern pack eh?

I wonder how many Brits carry out a bug out bag. Not many i imagine.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If you want to carry very heavy loads i'd replace those crappy rivets on the frame as a first job mate
I'v heard folks say the large alice pack is much better

Oh, the quick release shoulder straps are a very nifty little design

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If they break, I have no problem replacing them with very strong copper rivets.....we have the tehnology!

the idea/concept of it, is good. though.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Speaking of moving deer. A mate of mine makes some very good drag bags and butchery aprons. I'll get him to send me some pics if you want, sure beats having one one your back

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Under £70. Bit on the expensive side.

Does anyone have one o these, used one, what do you think of them? Cheers.
hi dave well on the expensive, I bought one exact same no shelf though, super grade In NEW Condition for £35.00 + £4.55 P&P

Supplied by "Only Army" Quality surplus

17219370108_8033ae0845_m.jpg

(All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment System)

Framed ( medium ) Alice pack measures: 20" x 19" x 11".
35-45 Litre Capacity Bag
Has 3 Front Pouches with Large Main Compartment
Unique Design With Frame & Waist Belt
Drawstring Top Closure To Keep Items Within Secure

Not used it yet so can't comment except I love it seems Very Comfortable & High Quality Bag..

17407138845_a5630f9bb8_m.jpg

Still tryin to pack the phucker. I got too much kit.

MikeLA he uses the large Alice pack & recons the medium one is :~ "a good day weekend bergan and it will Teach me to carry only what I need and not be tempted to fill it with crap that I wont use. "

He also recons :~ That the trick to packing is can something else you carry not do it instead. Think items of muti use. so I'm goin with that for now tryin to find lighter options..

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have two. One medium and one large. Love 'em both but the large is by far the best. The "hip belt" is going to be a long way from your hips though unless you're very short.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I have two. One medium and one large. Love 'em both but the large is by far the best. The "hip belt" is going to be a long way from your hips though unless you're very short.

I will be ok then, I am short ****... My thinking was the medium would be heavy enough & the large too heavy I've no idea about bein a donkey, never really backpacked only once before with a borrowed pack uncomfortable & badly packed near killed me...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I will be ok then, I am short ****... My thinking was the medium would be heavy enough & the large too heavy I've no idea about bein a donkey, never really backpacked only once before with a borrowed pack uncomfortable & badly packed near killed me...

To be fair the main difference in their size/capacity (in a backpacker's context) is that with the medium you'll have space under it to lash something to your frame (something roughly the size of a sleeping bag) that would have otherwise gone inside the large one. That and the three extra small pockets on the large.

It's easy enough to overload yourself with either one. I just prefer the larger one's extra room for cold weather bulky items.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Use one as my pack when camping with a tent. As I need a little more space. I prefer external frames. Less of a sweaty back!

I have changed mine a bit tho.

Google "hellcat alice pack". That's what I did.

Very very comfortable.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have a large Alice, and a Downeast 1603 frame, I don't really use the alice pack though because it's really big and is used as a storage bag at the moment [I also have two side loading German sea sacks for storage as well as they are just massive]

I have a hankering for a Swedish lk35 [or maybe a 70, but again it's big and I don't really like to take too much stuff with me]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE