Journal cover and archery armguard

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Knocked these up recently:

I always carry a Moleskine notebook (is this the notebook equivalent of the Swanni/RM Woodlore/GBSFA?:)) so I thought I'd make a cover for it:

treejournal1.jpg

The design is the Celtic tree of life - laser engraved into the leather:

treejournal2.jpg

I used goatskin for the inside (the bits that hold the notebook in) as it is so much thinner than the leather yet incredibly strong. It's also a lovely material to work with.
treejournal3.jpg

Been doing archery with the kids at school since September so I felt it was about time I made myself something for my new-found hobby. My plan in 2010 is to make myself a longbow, but in the meantime, this will have to do:
armguard1.jpg

Copper rivets, leather thonging and I made the closure from a piece of antler:

armguard2.jpg

As you can see, I shoot left handed:
armguard3.jpg

I also have a couple of Moleskine travel journals so my next job is to make a cover for them.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Great work, and a good idea to put the air/sweat holes in the arm guard. In the summer your arm can get very warm with a guard on.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The design is the Celtic tree of life - laser engraved into the leather:

Really good work. Very nice.

One quick thing the symbol is copyrighted, so be a bit careful. Do not think they would do you for personel use, but selling them could be a pain.

At Jen Delyth's website they do sound like they would be funny about it.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Really good work. Very nice.

One quick thing the symbol is copyrighted, so be a bit careful. Do not think they would do you for personel use, but selling them could be a pain.

At Jen Delyth's website they do sound like they would be funny about it.

Interesting, as I didn't get it from there - obviously lots of others have already nicked the design. I don't sell my stuff (yet?) so there is no problem there. As it happens I have developed my own triskell design for the next one that I am going to make.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hmm interesting that she's the creator of it, although i've seen it used just about everywherer known to man and sold on freely

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Hmm interesting that she's the creator of it, although i've seen it used just about everywherer known to man and sold on freely

The only reason I looked it up was because it looks very Norse to me. Does seem a bit strange that it seems to be really well known, and used but they do seem funny about its use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE