Joining Scouts as an instructor

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi guys. :)

I'm thinking about, well i've been thinking about joining the scouts to help out as an instructor, i've decided to go ahead with it. I was gonna go as a CI in the air cadets as i was one but apparently they dont do half of the stuff they used to to anymore so i can't be bothered with that.

I know a few of our members are scout leaders and such like so was hoping they could give me some advice about what to expect. I know i need to have a CRB check or whatever they are called now, shouldn't be an issue, as i only have an assault charge against me in the last 10 years.

What can i do if i volunteer? As in, what sort of roles can i perform? obviously i'm skilled enough in bushy stuff to be of use, i have medical training, can make tools etc, i have a good knowledge of many things..... but will i be able to use it and teach it? Will i be of use to the scouts? Is it worth my time? There is a scout troop with their own wood about a 15 mins drive away in Brighouse which is probably where i would go.

I wanna be able to help the kids, but there are selfish reasons too as it gives me more reasons to be out and about doing stuff, more motivation and opportunity if you like. So theres as much in it for me as there there would be for them. I'm just bored and wanna fill some time with something worth doing thats away from knifemaking.

Any advice would be appreciated as i don't know much about scouts as i was never involved with them as a youngster. I want to get my son involved too when he's old enough, he's only 5 atm.

Cheers
Mark :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was a Scout leader for 15 years after initially joining as an Instructor. I also volonteered for the Army Cadets but left when they wanted me to shave my beard (other reasons as well...)
A lot of Bushy skills translate well to Scouting, more so than Cadets - knots, knife and axe, "Backwoods", tracking, carving wood, campfire skills, cooking etc all come (came?) into Scouting :)
As to will you be of use ... Scouts (at least around here) are always looking for new adult recruits :)
Go for it!

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
You can pretty do whatever you like in terms of instructing, role wise, there are a variety of roles you can go for.

If you have a look at this document: https://members.scouts.org.uk/documents/POR_Sept 2012_theappointmentprocess.pdf

It details the appointment process and various positions you can go for, you will find Instructor, Assessor, Advisors roles might be the sort of role you're looking at however that shouldn't deter you from thinking about a leadership role within a group/district/county alongside.

The county website for West Yorkshire can be found here: http://www.wyscouts.org.uk

Hi Hillbill

Im a Group Scout Leader in lincoln and help p work out what role would be appropriate for our volunteers. It's just a case of working out how much time you have available and how much responsibility you want. As lister said, there are all kinds of roles... there is something for everyone.

If you want some advice or a chat about anything feel free to get in touch.

I've taken the liberty of pm you with my contact details.

Mark

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Great that you want to be involved its well worth it. Its true youll get iut of it what you put in. I miss being involved with a group although I work with lots of groups now in my job. The last group I was with was very informal I just told them when I could come along and what skill set I had and agreed with the leaders what I'd do. Did lots if the back wood skills as the leaders didn't feel confident with it.

I don't feel I have time to spare now which sucks I work a stupid rota making attending meetings regularly neigh on impossible and I work 2 weekends in three so no way to get much quality time at weekends with my family never mind a group of other peoples family :(

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE