Jews ear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gurthang

Nov 22, 2004
Devon/Hampshire
Does anyone one know of any recipies for or including the Jews ear fungus other than just using it as an addition for a stew.?

and can you eat it raw?

Thanks for any help you can offer guys

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
imo not really worth bothering with outside of stews and then not very nice,I did come across a recipe for it cooked in milk but never tried it.Jakunen is your man for cookery books etc. he may be able to help.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Food for Free "..it is a good edible species...much prized in china..remedie for inflamed eyes.. name may come.. for anti semetic society in middle ages or may be derived from Judas who reputedly hung himself from an elder tree..such as the jews ear grows on...jews ear should be gathered young while soft and moised (it turns rock hard with age), and cut from the tree with a knife..discard tough stalk..wash well..slice finely..although the translucent flesh is thin it can be tough and indigestible. Stew for good 3/4 of an hour in stock or milk serve with plenty of pepper..make sure..cooked properly otherwise the flesh will be very rubbery. the result is crisp not unlike seaweed. it can be dried, and is best ground to a powder and used for flavouring.
Chinese-style Jew's Ear soup..
25g(1oz)Jew's Ear
800g(2lb) Brown Sugar crystals
500ml(1pint) Water
Method:
1: Clean, soak and roughly chop Fungi
2: Heat the Sugar and water untill Sugar melts and mixture almost boils..
£3: Drain Jew's Ears, bottom to Syrup and steam for 1.5hours. Serve hot or cold.."

all from Food for Free:Richard Mabey p.172/3

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Food for Free "..it is a good edible species...much prized in china..remedie for inflamed eyes.. name may come.. for anti semetic society in middle ages or may be derived from Judas who reputedly hung himself from an elder tree..such as the jews ear grows on...jews ear should be gathered young while soft and moised (it turns rock hard with age), and cut from the tree with a knife..discard tough stalk..wash well..slice finely..although the translucent flesh is thin it can be tough and indigestible. Stew for good 3/4 of an hour in stock or milk serve with plenty of pepper..make sure..cooked properly otherwise the flesh will be very rubbery. the result is crisp not unlike seaweed. it can be dried, and is best ground to a powder and used for flavouring.
Chinese-style Jew's Ear soup..
25g(1oz)Jew's Ear
800g(2lb) Brown Sugar crystals
500ml(1pint) Water
Method:
1: Clean, soak and roughly chop Fungi
2: Heat the Sugar and water untill Sugar melts and mixture almost boils..
£3: Drain Jew's Ears, bottom to Syrup and steam for 1.5hours. Serve hot or cold.."

all from Food for Free:Richard Mabey p.172/3

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Briefly stir fried like the related species Auricularia polytricha ( wood ears/black fungus) ought to work well. By the way, the fungi on that recipe page - they do not look like jews ear, for one thing they're growing on compost.
Realgar

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Briefly stir fried like the related species Auricularia polytricha ( wood ears/black fungus) ought to work well.
Yep, just slice the thinly into strips and use in a stir fry...... I par-boil mine first though before slicing and frying.

:)
Ed

jakunen

Native
Cheers Steve A. I guess I'm gonna have to try and do somethign about my reputation!!!

You can eat them raw, but its liek trying to chew a bicycle inner tube.
Best bet is to shred them and either stir fry in Chinese dishes, add to Thai soups or use in stews and casseroles.
I'm not to keen on them just fried, as again - chewing inner tubes.

They do add an extra element to ommelettes and are a good source of protein.

As for the naming, the two are related species and the Auricularia litterally means 'Ear-like". AFAIA all member of this genus are ear-like jelly fungi, where are the other species has varied forms. But don't quote me, I ain't an egg-squirt.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Check for maggots as well, the outer membrane covers the inner flesh which is jelly like which some kind of parasitic fly likes, so slicing them before cooking is a good idea, unless you need the extra protein :naughty: i like them sliced thinly and added to chicken soup made from the leftover chicken on a sunday with plenty of fresh herbs. Not to be eaten alone they can only be described as bland and snotty :shock:

Jews Ear on a frosty morning

Picture1119.jpg

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I usually cut them into strips, dry them then grind them up into a coarse powder to add to soups and sauces but am trying to find out how they do them in one of the pubs I go to as they seem to be able to cook them whole and get a really good texture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE